Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting the best deal from dealership?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Shori, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Hi guys,

I'm looking at purchasing a second hand bike and it might be that I end up buying one from a dealership. Any tips on how how to negotiate and what inclusions to request for e.g. 1yr rego and so on.

Also, if you have dealt w/t dealership interstate and secured a good package please share...

I'm sure there are people out there who are street smart and have a few dealing tips up their sleeve.

2. I have heard buying in the last week of June is good. With cash.
  3. Dont buy unless you get free on roads (incl delivery) or close to it.

Also try to get first service free or at least capped. Maybe free loan bike.

After you seriously annoy 2-3 sales managers take the cheapest quoted price you have at that point.

Best no cost inclusion is a test ride on a bike you dont want to buy.
  4. When they ask you how much you have to spend, don't tell them.

Instead ask them what the cost price of the bike was. I'm betting they wont tell you.
  5. buy private
  6. Cash is King
    Do your homework and get to know the market you are dealing in.
    If they won't come down to your price then request things like 'on roads' or helmets and jackets.
    Never give them your budget
    Most of all be prepared to walk away.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. maybe, maybe not mm.
    lately i have been getting the impression they would rather just hold out and wait for some sucker to waltz on in a buy something no deposit at some freakishly high rate of interest...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. #8 iClint, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    I agree, at my last purchase, They seemed more interested in pushing finance and insurance and seemed rather peeved when i said no.

My advice would simply be ask them for their best price and let them know your going straight to the next dealer to ask them to beat it.

9. i have done this recently and got a some sad stories about there being sfa mark up from cost, and how hard theyre doing it... cry me a river ffs. ;)
  10. If they try and push finance then there is something in it for the Dealer.
    Why pay more (ie interest) when you have the readies in your sky rocket.

And with Salespeople seeming disinterested unless you are buying the latest and greatest on tick... Well that is quite widespread across the industry.

It's your money and your jatz crackers being invested in your purchase. If you aren't happy with the deal.
  11. Buy a bike that no one else wants
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. If you want a Triumph in Sydney you bend over and let them have their way.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Key points.

Research the bikes you are looking at. Know how much they cost (this applies to cars and houses as well).

Know how much YOU can afford and knock at least $1000 off that.

Don't even look at bikes you can't afford.

Test ride everything you can afford. Don't talk deals yet.

When you know what you want - do more research.

If you need to borrow money, arrange that yourself before you walk in the shop.

Now you can start to deal.

Be prepared to walk away. If you aren't getting the deal you want (providing its reasonable) walk away, don't look back, just walk. If the dealer is keen to sell he will chase after you.

End of the financial year is best. End of the month is pretty good as well.