Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting out of Sydney...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ricecooker, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Question for you Sydneysiders...

I have to go up to Sydney for lectures soon and am heading down to Merimbula from there.

If I am leaving Sydney Uni at Camperdown, what is the best way to get out of Sydney?

Last time I took King Street and down the Princess(?) Highway and even at 6:00am it took a-g-e-s to get out of Sydney.

Is there a quicker way? I seem to recall if I go up Cleveland Street and onto some freeway type thing, I can exit to get onto the M5 to head back to Canberra. Where do I end up if I keep going straight?

I could look at a map, but mine is from 1996 and these roads weren't there then. And I suck at reading maps anyway.

Thanks for your help!

2. What I would do is head over to Cleveland St from the uni, follow it over the Eastern Distributor, hang a right jsut after the ED and drop down onto Southern Cross drive. This will take you down past the airport, where you can jump on to teh M5 east, and then follow that down to Goulburn. Then cut through Tarago etc and onto Kings Hwy to Batemans Bay. Then follow the Princes hwy.
    Or, if you want to go coastal (if on teh bike), head down Southern Cross drive, and follwo the Woolongong signs.
    We used to travel through Sydney to Moruya 5 or 6 times a year, and trust me, through the back of Goulburn on the M5 knocks a good hour off the trip.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Yeah I tried whereis, but that sends me through King Street/Princess Hwy.

Just wondering about that freeway thing or if there is a quicker way :D
  4. Thanks Andrew, I will be on the bike so will probably go Coast way :)

Excellent, so Cleveland St, cross over ED (which I am assuming is the freeway thing I am thinking of) and next right is Southern Cross Drive, then signs to Wollongong.

Think I can manage that :D
  5. Getting out of Sydney absolutely sucks. You either pay tolls, or get stuck in traffic - usually both. Going south from Camperdown I think you might as well stick to King St/Princess Hwy all the way; going through that freeway thing will take you to the airport then out to Brighton Le Sands but eventually you need to join with Princess Hwy and still have a bit of suburbia to get through. It might be a bit faster this way, but not by much.
    You could also start out on M5 then take King Georges exit and follow King Georges Rd until it joins Princess but again, there's not a whole lot to be gained because King Georges Rd is not exactly empty, either....
    Edit: yeah Typhoon might be right - it might be quicker to go inland, stick with M5 all the way to Goulburn. But then you have to pay the tolls, don't you?
  6. The next right isn't Southern Corss drive, it's South Dowling st. But one or two sets of lights and it drops you onto Southern Cross drive. You go past the Supa Centre at Moore Park, with the IKEA, if you sort of know the area.
    King St is a joke(always HEAPS of traffic), and Southern X drive will get you there faster, and you get to look at cool planes too. Southern X drive almost always flows well, no matter what time of day.

Whereis is screwed up sometimes, it always makes me go through Bungendore to get to Canberra from here??
    You can see here, drop off City Rd at the uni, across Cleveland st, turn right onto Sth Dowlnig, and that drops you onto Southern X drive.

Regards, Andrew.
  7. Ed is the eastern distributer.

tolls involved, taxi's that wont see you, the usual, but it flows well.
  8. getting out of sydney.........is a good idea for your mental health :p :rofl:
  9. Kenoath! I was ready to kill someone when I left that place...mind you, I did spend around 25 years living in the inner city.....

Regards, Andrew.