Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting my project through Regency [SA]

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by iliketoride, Apr 28, 2012.

1. - Mods, feel free to move to relevant section -

Hi. I became a member here a long time and posted sporadically during that time. I did the RiderSafe course and then ran out of money for a bike / wasn't sure if I was ready to take the plunge.

Fast forward 5 years or so and I have my Ls - I see they've finally seen the light and allowed people to hold their permits for longer than 6 months - and, I have the most important thing, the bike.

I'm a young guy but I've never been into racers/fairings and have always been tempted by more retro bikes. So, I had some spare change and found a old smokey, noisy 100cc 2-stroke from the 70s which I really got a woody for aesthetically. It is a Kawasaki KH100EL like this (http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5211/5487611880_1b9702c158.jpg) but a little rougher. It hasn't been registered since 2003 and there are no plates for it so I have to go through Regency for an ID check.

I've replaced the speedo cable, fitted new grips and a broken brake lever, got the engine and brakes serviced, installed a new ignition switch. She doesn't drop too much oil, if any, so all I have left to do is replace a ring/seal in a leaky fuel tap and she is good to go but there is one thing in the way: a tank with surface rust...

This is a sore point for me because I found a tank on ebay with good original paint that was very cheap and it got lost in the Indonesian postal service ](*,). So I have a tank with surface rust but I have one question...

Will it make it through registration as is?
    If not, what can I do to sneak it through without forking out a fortune?

My electrical mechanic recommended sanding the rust, particularly that near the fuel tap (see picture) and going at it with some red paint myself until I do indeed restore or replace it. His other idea was to fabricate a phony tank pad that covers much of the rust but is used for a pooch pad/tank bag/whatever. Good ideas.

I'm tempted to sand the rust back a little and hope it passes with a patchwork looking fuel tank.

The rest of the bike is otherwise sound and with a bit of polish the chrome will look great. Sorry for the long story. Any help is much appreciated :-({|=

See the pictures:
  2. I've moved this thread to where it should have been in the first place.
  3. The top of the tank doesn't look too bad - but the lower edge on the side sucks.

I would take the tank off the bike, clean the rust off, check to see how thin the tank wall is after the rust is off, then if you can use the tank, bog it, sand it, undercoat it and paint it.

Otherwise - try and find another tank.
  4. "Sucks" sounds bad. It's relatively heavy rust there. I'm still hoping to fix it up or find a replacement.

Do you think if I sand some of the rust back and it looks a little cleaner it might make it through? I'm not sure how strict they are when it comes to this kind of thing. My aim is too make it through and get it on the road before the weather gets bad, then I can hopefully worry about tidying it properly.

As you can see it is otherwise a relatively tidy bike for its age. -> [​IMG]
  5. Sand (don't try and get it all off on the side), rust converter, fill, prime (in whatever order recommended) and paint. Then try and locate a new tank.
    It looks too heavy on the side to me to try and get it back to bare metal.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. After a little sleuthing I have found that I believe the bike will need an identity check and not a roadworthy.

Has anyone had an ID check before? Does this incorporate a roadworthy or do the guys just check the plates, colour, etc?

I'm thinking if I can make the tank appear a little cleaner it will be a non-issue as what i need to do is only an ID check and NOT a roadworthy.
  7. Well considering i just went to Regency and got a ID check done on mine there isnt really much thats needed to be done. You go there, Ride the bike onto their Bike stand. The Inspector just checks that the VIN/Chassis and Engine number match up.
    I knwo on mine they didnt really check too much as far as roadworthiness is concerned not that my bike isnt, but my Tyres are getting a little on the "worn side"
    My advice is to take it there and see what happens!
    You dont have to pay until you rego anyway!
    Also helps if you know what the previous rego was and i think you shouldnt have any issues.
  8. Seems you only need the ID check with no included or separate roadworthy according to http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transp...on/Vehicle+inspections/Roadworthy+inspections
    I wouldn't expect them to just overlook obvious defects though. Hunting around I just came across a car that was knocked back during an ID check (probably defected) because of illegal window tinting.
    I recently got a Blue Slip in NSW which is a combined roadworthy and ID. You guys get it easy.

Edit (additional aside info): Since it isn't registered you might need a permit if you decide to ride it to get the ID inspection. In NSW you can just ride it there without a permit. SA permit info is at http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transp...ration/Short-term+unregistered+vehicle+permit
    You can tow it there but they won't inspect it when on a trailer so it would need to be taken off.
  9. #10 DJ666, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Also remember you do not HAVE to go to regency, there is an identity inspection place down in Lonsdale who I BELIEVE is a bit more lenient.

10. An update:

At the last minute I called a buddy of mine and he recommended putting some rust convertor on the tank. I did so yesterday and in some parts in came up nice and silver but in others it just altered the rust slightly. Either way, after reading these posts I figured it was worth a shot and not an "obvious defect". They seemed to like the bike and the fact I actually rode it there (with a special permit) automatically made them a lot more comfortable about it. Also, I got a lady so I tried on the charm ;)

However, the saga:

On my way there in the rain I got within 100 metres of the inspection centre and while accelerating the KH100 bogged down and stalled. It was gradually threatening to do this on the way as I could feel the throttle up-take getting weaker. On the side of the road she would start and idle fine but then once I was in 1st and would go to go, she'd bog and stall. I tried and tried to no luck.

Then Google saved the day. I Googled and found this thread about a dude who had an identical problem and his saga was epic, all he needed was a hotter plug in the end: "two strokes as they get older can allow more oil past the rings thus needing a hotter plug". I had a friend running errands in the area so she dropped me a hotter plug and I swapped it out. It bogged initially but then cleaned up.

BUT I was shaken up by the whole thing and was gonna write the day off. I road much of the way home only to change my mind and hope it doesn't bog down as I ride it into the inspection centre and stall AND hope that the rust isn't a problem.

The climax: passed ID no problem. Road home with the hotter plug without hiccup. I also learnt the joy of riding in torrential rain.

Here she is on the stand and I'm happy:

Thanks for all your posts!
    • Like Like x 1