Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting L's in SA

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Sidney, Apr 1, 2008.

  1. hey guys

    when you get your l's and you do the 2 half day courses, does that cost $317? and then 6 months later you do the advanced course? have I got it right?

    or what happens????

  2. Yes, but as I understand, there is no minimum wait before applying for an advanced course. And the advanced course will cost another $280? I think.

    Sign up to ridingsa.com if you haven't already. We're a very friendly bunch and do a lot of social meets.

    Edit: Didn't notice your age. I think you have to wait 6 months if you're 16...not sure here.
  3. Oh my goodness, I didn't know it cost that much to do your Ls in SA :shock: Any particular reason why it's so ex?
  4. There's probably a few reasons;
    1. To discourage people from taking up riding in the first place.
    2. Recoups the cost of the facilities, administration, instructors, fuel, bikes etc from the users (user pays).
    3. Because they can.
  5. They literally doubled the course prices about a year and a half ago.
    I don't think there's a direct age minimum, but you need to have your car L's so that means 16 and 6 months I believe.
  6. you dont need car L's

    you do the theory test before the practical test and you only need to be 16 but you have to have your l's for 6 months before doing the advanced course
  7. Ok, before you wander any further into the wilderness of half truths, lets look at some facts: Obtaining your motorbike licence

    You DO need car L's:

    It is NOT a requirement to wait 6 months before doing the advanced course, it is a recommendation (and for a noob a wise one):

    Finally, if you don't have your car license (just your L's that you got at the first stage, which you may have let lapse) you can apply for P's on your bike:

  8. I believe they do more training in SA before issueing the permits and licence.
    Hence the higher costs.
  9. i read somewhere it says

    if you do not obtain a car license, you must past a theory test first.

    you don't need car L's....
  10. You do need car Ls. To obtain car Ls you must pass a theory test. God forbid someone rides on the road without knowing simple give way rules.
  11. That's what L's for a car license is Sidney, a theory test of give way rules and 'what does a flashing yellow stop light mean?'.

    You go into motor reg and I believe you play trivia quiz on a touch screen these days.

    Looks like all your costs are spelled out on this page:
  12. yeah I know.

    what im saying is that, say you already have a car license. You can walk into the motorbike learning place and go the the actual riding test straight away, you dont have to do the theory because you have a license.

    if you dont have a license, you have to pass the theory test, but it doesnt have to be for the car it can be for a bike.
  13. it's the same test Sidney, I'm quite sure.

    The Rider Safe course is all about the practicalities of riding a motorcycle on the road they will teach you absolutely nothing about the road rules.
    You are in fact expected to come in with a certain level of knowledge already, hence the theory test. You'll need to buy the road rules book for like $5 and study it harder than whatever subjects you're doing at school or you will fail.
  14. lol I know its the same test

    42 random road rule questions and 8 give way questions