Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting closer to your limit without falling off

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by GoTeam, Nov 28, 2006.

1. I've just read through a few of the braking threads about what methods different people use. It was an interesting read seeing why people use the method describe as a no-no by my Ls instructor.

At some stage I'm sure everyone has to suddenly avoid an obstacle. If you've ever practiced any emergency manouvres then you have some experience to draw upon if you have to use it for real.

Being new to riding, I'm keeping it as upright as possible so haven't done any faster cornering or any countersteering to swerve around something. That only means two things. If I'm faced with the issue of having to swerve anytime soon then I'm either going to have to run over whatever is in my way (and keep fingers crossed while doing so) or try and countersteer for my first time and possibly fall off.

Has anyone got any tips on where I can gain some skills in a controlled environment?

I'm normally a fast learner and am better at "monkey see monkey do" than finding out for myself. For example, when I first went go karting, I didn't have the technique to put down fast times but when I followed someone who had raced a bit, I saw what can be done safely and still within the limits of the kart. After that, I confidently kept it flat for almost the entire track.
  2. the car park!
    alternatively HART offer 2 hour practice sessions for $60 where
    you tell them what you want to practice and they supervise and tell
    you what you are doing wrong (and its their bike if you drop it)
  3. Advanced riding course for you, and good on you for recognising you need more instruction. Forget what it costs, it will be well worth it.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. if you look in the event calendar you'll see an instructed ride to toolangi on the weekend
  5. You won't be countersteering for the first time, unless you've only been riding at 10-15 km/h.

Over that speed, the only way to make a bike start to lean into a turn is by countersteering.

Eg - you turn the bars left a mere fraction, the bike starts to fall to the right, you turn the bars to the right to control the angle/rate of the fall, and the bike turns right.

Happens pretty much automatically, unless you start thinking about it too much! :)
  6. Absolutely right Gromet!

The only way to get a bike to lean and turn effectively is via counter steering, and by the laws of physics this is how all bikes lean and corner wether you accept the law or not.

Harnessing it's power will turn you into a powerful rider. like me ;)
  7. countersteer, countersteer, countersteer!

As stated above, by riding > 15Km/h you will need to countersteer to go round a corner. You end up with "live" practice with almost every corner you take.
  8. Stay upright also do one on one post learner or newbie sessions.

Listen, about this counter steering malarky - "Go team" your rider education may have mislead you.

Countersteering is NOT emergency swerving.

Emergency swerving is just a really big countersteer.

Countersteering is not something to be feared and only something to be consciously used in an "emergency".

As the boys have said, countersteering, i.e., putting any kind of force or input into the handle bar in the direction you want to go, is the ONLY way a bike effectively steers at speed. [There's prolly 2000 threads on the topic]

Rider education links emergency swerving with countersteering, and new riders walk away thinking that the emergency swerving is countersteering and that countersteering is something you do in an emergency.

Again for the record, emergency swerving uses a really big quick countersteer - countersteering is NOT emergency swerving. There is nothing to fear in countersteering - you can't get around a corner without it!
  9. What Rob and the others said plus a bit more.

When you're learning something new it takes time for you body and brain to work out what to do. Clearly, it's important to find out where the limit sits (harder to reach than you'd think sometimes) but take it slowly and gradually. Start things by giving a little input, then a little more. If you go out and immediately start practicing high speed emergancy manouvers then it may end in tears. The trick to not dropping is take baby steps, practice lots and don't over do it. :)
  10. OK Rob, point taken. I really meant more along the lines of when things get uncomfortable. In my teens, the major countersteer was my friend when I used to lean over a long way and corner quickly (but only where I've been around plenty of times before). I developed being able to brake whilst cornering quickly in those days as well. I guess its the same thing on a motorbike. In fact I know it is because I accidentally let myself get caught out today braking with the front brake whilst cornering because I came in faster than normal. My brain kicked in and made sure I didn't brake too hard plus I leant over a bit more.

I think I'll pop into HART sometime soon. That's got to be the best option.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
  11. out of curiosity, have many people here ridden sidecars? if so how'd you go after stepping off the solo? sidecars are great fun and you can do magic unbelievable things with them, but its certainly "exciting" the first time you get on an outfit when youre used to what most dub "counter-steering"