Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting bike onto stand?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by CaffeineMonster, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Hi, I am wondering what is the best way for a single person to get bike onto rear stand so can clean chain? Stand is an L type stand.

2. I do it all the time. Keep kick stand down, straighten bike and front wheel. Then grab bike at rear with left hand and stabilise vertical (I'm right handed), then while precariously balancing bike, get stand under bike, and lever away.

PS: My bike has a rear pillion bracket I can grab onto, many bikes havent, and would think thats gunna make life a little more challenging.

To lower the bike, place the kick stand down (if you raised it whilst cleaning etc), and then move bars left, so bike will want to 'fall' left when you lower it off the stands, and then lower the bike whilst maintaining the balance, then let it fall geeeently to the left onto the kick stand.

PPS: Not remembering to lower the kick stand ends in tears, I know it.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tried google/youtoob?

4. I have a L bracket stand
  5. my bad.

as in normal stand with the platforms rather than reel bits?
    once the bike is upright and weight starting to be taken by the stand, becomes stable and easy to pop it up
  6. Yeah, with the platforms - just wondering which side people stand / hold bike to balance while getting stand in place etc... The L brackets always swing around which makes awkward also. Youtube worth a look too I guess
  7. #8 XJ6N, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    GoozaGooza's description of the process to put the bike on a rear 'L' type stand is how I do it. It's an inexact science. I place the rear stand with one of the 'L' brackets under the left swing-arm, raise the bike to vertical (at this point the rear stand will swing off-centre and no doubt one of the L-brackets turn upside-down), keep hold of the passenger grab-rail while reaching down to re-align the stand and the L-bracket under the right swing-arm and then lever the bike up on to the stand. It's fiddly.

One other thing I've found with an L-bracket rear stand is the low amount of grip the L-bracket gets sometimes resulting in a slow slide forward along the swing-arm until the rear tyre rests on the ground again. To combat this, I ensure that the underside of the swing-arm is free of flung chain-lube and also glued some patches of grippy foam rubber on to the L-bracket.

Edit #1: To answer your question regarding which side I stand while getting the bike onto the rear stand - the left-hand side of the bike (same side as the side-stand).

Edit #2: For full disclosure about the first couple of times I did this, this is an approximation of what you'd have heard from inside the garage:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. first I put a bit of wood under the side stand to make bike a bit more upright.
    I stand at the back, bit to the left, and put the left L-bracket under the swingarm.
    then, while steadying back of bike with left hand, push down on stand to raise the bike vertical and make contact with RHS L-bracket.

from there, bike is stable on the stand. either push down stand by hand, or if you are of low bodyweight, stand on it with ya foot.

choice of stand will affect how much leverage you have.
    can also roll back wheel onto piece of wood to reduce leverage a bit (ie, pre-raising)

err, as XJ6N said.
    also, I put some old inner tube rubber over the L-brackets to reduce damage and slip
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Cheers guys - shall go give it a go. GoozaGooza never ceases to amaze me how clean people keep their bikes!
    • Agree Agree x 1

10. I'm sure you did your home work. There was a discussion on here some time ago too. I think GreydogGreydog was given few great tips on this matter.

I have Anderson's stand and use L-shape adaptors under a swingarm. Park the bike next to a wall with enough room for it to nearly touch the wall with the Right Handlebar if it tips over from vertical. Keep the wheel straight, put a tape or a rubber band over the front brake lever to keep it engaged. Put a brick under the side stand high enough to bring the bike to nearly vertical position. Put the stand under the swingarm and when happy with the alignment push down with your foot supporting the bike with your hand.

Well, that's the theory anyway. For now I utilise my teenager, comes very handy :whistle:!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. All good guys! The block of wood under stand is the biggest help me thinks - now maybe I'll end up cleaning bike and chain more often.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Yep, block of wood works well. As you get better at it, you may not need it any more. I have the Ventura rack on the Z so I can wrap an arm around that to hold the bike upright (won't tip either way) then use the other hand to place the stand and start the action. Then I let go of the rack and use both hands on the stand.

Not pretty to watch, but gets the job done :)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Shaft drive. It'll solve all your chain maintenance problems.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Same way a married person does :smug:

What's a chain...haven't had to clean one of them in a looooong time, can't say I feel like I'm missing out on anything.:LOL:
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Lobby Ducati for me then