Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting Back On The Bike

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Geehi, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Hi all,
    Don't really know if this is the place to open my heart but here goes...
    I used to do a lot of riding with my son, mostly off road. He would occasionally jump on my cruiser and tell me how it was too big didn't handle, nothing was right with it. My last ride with him was believe it or not chasing a camel through the local bush. It took all day to catch it, we had lots of spills and laughs.
    A few months ago I lost my son, he passed away whilst playing local sport. All unexpected, he had a very rare heart problem. He worked for six years and had only two days off. Since then I and my wife have been trying to grieve and adjust.
    Got back on the bike last week, rode through to Nagambie and back with a fellow netrider.
    We still have a few questions that need answering so have to go through the process with the coroner.
    We will also be launching a campaign shortly to improve some of the health services.
    During the next few weeks if anyone wants my full story I will post it.
    Until then...take a look at your family...tell them how you feel. Life is short

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your son, no parent should have to bury their child. Good on you for getting back on a bike, having something like this to do could provide a bit of a distraction, there's not always time to think about anything else while riding so it could give you a bit of a break from all the questions and pain even if it's just for a little while. There's no textbook way to deal with something this hard and grief can't be rushed and doesn't have a time limit. I don't believe anybody ever gets over losing someone they love, you just learn how to cope with them not being there anymore.

I don't have kids myself and the closest family member I lost was my Grandmother who cared for me a lot when I was a baby due to my Mother's bad post natal depression. It's not the same as losing a child but I can relate to you in the difficulty of the pain of losing someone. I'm glad you felt ok to post this here too, hopefully the support and understanding from people here will help you feel a bit better. I'm glad someone from here has gone riding with you :)
  3. I can't imagine what it is like to go through a loss like that. It is good to hear that you are finding your coping mechanisms. My bike, for me, has always been a way of handling the rough times so I hope riding again helps you as well.
  4. Thanks, yeah the bike can really help. Even in this weather, expecting rain in the morning. I am booked for a special tatt , think I might just take the cruiser out for its first wet ride ...lol
    • Like Like x 1