Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting back on 2 wheels

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by Milesy1, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Hey All,

After a couple of years absence I'm finally getting back on 2 wheels. My first bike was a VT250c. Then upgraded to an FZ6N. Sold that due to a baby. Wife has given me a pass to buy another bike, so starting my research.

I want another cruiser. The sports / naked style was fun, but not for me. Its just to ride to and from work, so I was thinking of just getting another VT250C. But I killed my last one, probably because I just rode it to hard. Thinking about the getting something slightly bigger. Maybe the VSX650. They seem very popular. Although the LAMS thing isn't an issue. Being a 650 are they restricted in some way to make the LAMS requirements? If so can they be un-restricted to get some more balls?

2. go the XVS!!
  3. I was under the impression that they are not restricted in any way, they are just naturally under the required power to weight ratio. There are a few on here with that bike I think, so, I'll let them correct me if I'm wrong.
  4. I am a VERY proud owner of a Yamaha XVS650 Custom. Bought it last year in April and have ridden it through rain, hail & shine clocking up a bit over 16K Kms since then. :)

Is Cruisey when I want to be and has got enough grunt to do the weekend stuff as well.

In answer to your question - No, they are not restricted in any way.

I say go for it. A lot of NR members here have owned it in the past and am yet to hear any negative issues about them.

and Welcome to NR and welcome back to riding. (y)
  5. Take a look at what prices you can get. The 650, being LAMS approved are always in demand.

The slightly bigger cruisers, 750,800,900 are often cheaper because they are out of reach of that LAMS group.

Make no mistake, the s650 yammi is a darn good, solid ride. But look for what's in your price range. You may be pleasantly surprised. Cruisers under a litre are better around town IMHO.
  6. easy option to get back in - just watch out for compression locking back wheel if too aggressive changing down.

you wont be disapointed - good reputation.

but you might yearn for more power after a while.
  7. are you lams restricted by your license?

if you are not then why are you considering a lams bike, you can get a better bike for less if you dont buy a lams.
  8. Hi, thanks for all the feedback. I have a full license, so I'm not restricted to LAMS. I'm just limited by budget. I don't want to finance anything, so I have around $6k to spend. I can stretch a little for the right bike. I'd love to get a kaka 900 or something like that, but the just seem a little out of my budget.

9. You'll get a lot of second hand cruiser for 6k. Check out VL800 (Suzuki Boulevard), VN900 (Kawasaki Vulcan) or even the bigger Yamaha's.