Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting back in the game!!

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by rangerider, May 18, 2011.

1. After 5 year plus break from road bikes, I have decided it's time to get back in the game, much to the dissapointment of the wife. LOL. Budget will be around 5-6 grand, bike will be a weekend only ride maybe occasional longer trips away.
    Bikes I am looking at so far
    1. Honda CBR600 F4i (01-03??)
    2. Honda cbr600rr (2004-onward)
    3. Triumph daytona 675 (will have to wait another 12-18 months to collect funds for this option.
    I have previously owner a zxr250 (my first bike I learnt to ride on), then upgraded to a 01 R6 which I had for a couple of years.
    I want a long term bike that will do me well, have reasonably low maintanance and running costs (hence the hondas).

Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts....write em down..
    Cheers guys

2. 02 vfr800
  3. just had a look at the vfr800, nice bikes price a little up on the other options but worth a look with low enough klms, most with low prices had fairly high klms, I want to hold onto the bike for a while if possible so was trying to maybe get something with low - medium klms.

Or the other option, just to keep things interesting....build a cafe racer...maybe from an old honda or similar...

You all know how it is, motorcycling gets in the veins, so I am just keen to get back into the scene and enjoy being around bikes again....in any form..
  4. 5 years break means that you have lost all the skills pretty much, I would reconsider getting a sports bike until you get those back.
  5. I am in a similar boat to you. Had a couple of bikes rode for a few years then sold up and moved on. Now coming back. Vertical is right. I rode a mates GSXR 750 and realized that I had pretty much forgotten how to ride a bike.
    I also went down to HART to try out the new CBR 250 and although it's a slow forgiving bike, I noticed about 15 basic fundamental errors I made on a short 20 min ride. It is a diminishing skill, although my brain still knows what to do I am VERY rusty.

After all that I decided not to buy a GSXR 600 (which is what I had my heart set on). Have decided on some sort of naked. Not sure which one yet.
  6. Decisions, decisions....I was worried about jumping straight back on a 600cc sports bike, but in saying that I put nearly 40000klms on my r6, and have always had my road rego'd dirt bike, so have not completely left the scene.I am also heavily into mountain biking,(not the same i know, but skills are somewhat similar throughout each sport). I have ridden a few times a year on borrowed bikes, and yes my skills have definately dropped over time, but after an hour or two in the saddle I am feeling pretty comfy again.
    It really is a tough decision to make, go something tame to start, or just ride sensible on something I want. Which will keep me happy for years to come....I guess I could get a $2000 banger to get my skill back then up grade....who knows?? I want something thats still going to excite me.....
    I also have my heart set on a particular bike (the F4i), but respect all the opinions and experienced views on here.........
  7. the cbr600f4i is a great choice. that or an early r6. both can cruise around easy, nice to ride in towns and fairly comfy but you can really get cracking on either.

i would probably go the f4i just because its a little more friendly. and once you can ride it well, you stepp up.
  8. Thanks JimmyD,
    The other option could be a suprmoto, similar to one in your collection...but i want to hold onto my licence...hahaha... want a versitile bike and I think the F4i fits the bill, I have read they last forever to if they are cared for properly. You can pick up an 02 with 20klm for $5000 or so, not bad I think..
  9. As people have advised here before, the best idea would be to go and do a skills course regardless of what you choose. Compared to the price of the bike (or registration for that matter) they are pretty cheap. Especially after so long off the roads.