Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting a tattoo, a couple questions.

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by MotorBoat_MyGoat, May 31, 2013.

1. G'day, i've been doodling my tattoo for about 4/5 years now and I am finally satisfied to the point where I could bare it being permanent for the rest of my life. I have done alot of research prior and with a future of being in the Air Force I am going to wait until I am employed to get it done. It's not a controversial/rude/unsightly tattoo and it's completely concealed if I am wearing a T-shirt/business shirt - It's located on my shoulder/arm. I am unable to find some answers however and I thought putting it here might bring up some good answers/experience.

*It will be colored (not brightly) except for one small section. I do ride motorbikes hard and have a leather jacket which fits snug - Will this have a major effect on fading the tattoo?
    *Do I have to take in any special consideration for road trips to care for it?
    *After I have been tattoo'ed I hear you have to keep it away from light, avoid touching it and keep it wrapped in glad wrap. Would it be best to avoid the bike for for a short time while it heals? :mad:

I am willing to travel nationally for what I consider a great artist. I have a few considerations but I would love to hear some real experiences. Thoughts? advice?

Cheers :dance:

2. SPDY is your profile pic another fine example of your artwork?
    ;)

• Funny Funny x 6
  3. *It will be colored (not brightly) except for one small section. I do ride motorbikes hard and have a leather jacket which fits snug - Will this have a major effect on fading the tattoo?
    No

*Do I have to take in any special consideration for road trips to care for it?
    No

*After I have been tattoo'ed I hear you have to keep it away from light
    No - well not specifically

avoid touching it and keep it wrapped in glad wrap.
    No - wrap for the first 30 - 60mins......after it has healed (2-3 weeks) you can touch it

Would it be best to avoid the bike for for a short time while it heals? :mad:
    No - maybe the first hour or two then no problem

Use Bepanthen cream for after tattoo care - don't pick the scab......It'll itch and eventually the dead skin will fall away.

Let's see the design.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. LMFAO :D

5. :worthlesspics:

• Like Like x 1
  6. HAHAHA, well with what people consider "art" nowadays I think it would compete with Michelangelo.

7. Everything BitSar said.
    Plus stay away from salt and chlorinated water until it heals

The sun will fade tattoos over time with regular exposure.
    Tattoos will fade naturally overtime.

While you think you have the artwork as you want it still leave it open for the tattooist to influence it. They can make awesome artwork incredibly amazing.

Do you have an artist in mind ?
    Be prepared to wait.
    Two tattooist I have had work done by now have an 18 month waiting list.
    Some may make an exception for an interstate visit but don't count on it.

8. I could upload pics but there are pages and pages of drawings, sort of pointless. I will update with a finished version if you want.

9. Thanks for all of that, I will upload a photo of the finished sketch tomorrow/sunday. Still finishing it, was uploading this mid-way drawing haha.

But thanks alot for the information mate!

10. You're welcome mate.

And what MelbourneMick added about swimming and water is very true.

I'm only a tattoo newbie.....I've got one - over my ribs.......went for the hardest one first :D
    I've got more planned - just need to book them in and wait.
    As Mick mentioned - good artists will be back booked......

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I've gathered five tattoos over the years (with more to come) and they have all reacted in different ways.

Generally the glad wrap is only applied if there is any bleeding of the tattoo. Your tattoo may not bleed at all and the tattooist may merely rub some Vaseline on it and send you on your way. They may put a small bandage on it as well. Different tattooists do things different ways.

As mentioned above - don't go nearly chlorine or salt water for seven days. (I got my last tatt in Thailand on the first day of my holiday on a whim. Not my smartest moment)

Make Bepanthan your best friend and use it liberally - follow the instructions given to you by your tattoost.

It will most likely itch and form a scab a couple of days after you get it. RESIST THE ITCH! You may make it worse. The skin will flake but don't peel it off - just let it come off natually. If you pull it off, you could end up with lighter patches where you don't want them.

When you go out in the sun, put sunscreen on it for the rest of your life. Helps to prevent some fading but won't stop it all together.

To reduce the pain of actually getting the tatt, you can dope yourself up on your favourite pain killer before you go in. And keep them close by afterwards, the pain doesn't stop when the needle does.

And find a tattooist you trust. Word of mouth is the best way. I'm not sure where you are but these guys are pretty good (I'm not affiliated with them in any way)

http://www.purplehazetattooz.com.au/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. DON'T - drink alcohol on the day of getting the tattoo or the night before. As it is processed in your system it can thin the blood which means you will bleed more whilst being tattooed.
    Makes it messy and not good for healing.

DO - eat about 2 hours before getting tattooed.
    1. Be used you might be sitting for a few hours and you won't go be comfortable
    2. If you tend to get nausea from pain it will settle this down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. My mate in NZ is very arty farty and in with the in crowd. I used to go round his place and not have a scooby doo what i was looking at on the walls!
    His favourite saying was "Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it art"

Sounded flash, but i still didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

Anyway, best of luck with your inking.