Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting a group cert from a closed company..

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by thecptn, Jul 16, 2009.

  1. I have a bit of a problem at the moment, last year, I did a short stint of work for a company, maybe a couple of weeks and a I left, how ever, I have now found out that the company has closed shop, and I have no idea where they have gone, I never received my group certificate from them, I am not sure what to do now, I read on another site, that all I have to do is get bank statements or pay slips, neither which I don't have, I closed my bank account that I was using at the time, and I never received pay slips, so, I don't know, what can I do??

  2. Unless the income for that short period of time was very high (and therefore the tax) it's probably not worth chasing. Do you know they were taking out tax installments on your wages, or paying into Super fund on your behalf?
  3. Hmmm, from what I remember, they did take tax out, how much I dont know, not a lot, dont think I had super setup with them.
  4. if they didn't give you pay slips they seem dodgy to me, might be better off not claiming it if it was only a short stint as they mightn't have paid tax which you'd still be liable for I believe.

    Might want to ask your accountant. I think you'd have to ring the ATO, but they will probably say pay slips at they are a legal requirement iirc.
  5. Well guess id have to pass this one, doesnt seem worth chasing up, thanks any way fellas. :)
  6. Definately talk to an accountant to find out where you stand.

    In some instances, where the company has withheld tax for you but not paid it to the ATO; the ATO will chase the company for it.

    They MIGHT even calculate a refund for you based on what they are hoping to collect from the company [ie. what you should be entitled do].

    But check first, coz you don't want to put your hand up if there's a chance they'll give you a tax bill.
  7. Easy fix:

    If the company has wound up and filed their company tax closure properly,
    you can download the e-tax program from the tax office
    and it will search by your tax file number and retrieve a copy of your
    group certificates from the tax office records.
    It worked for me with 2 out of 3 employers this year. Good luck!
  8. Thankyou! :cool:
  9. Mate it's 2009.

    Group certificates are now uploaded to the ATO's "portal" (or whatever the technical term for it is) and any accountant that has access to the ATO's site will be able to see any group certificates that you employers have posted on your behalf.