Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting A Disabled Scooter

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by krabi, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Anything with less than four wheels and a petrol engine is a motorcycle as far as the regs are concerned, which means anything imported will have to be complianced (ie conform to all relevant ADRs) and be registered. Basically not an option unless it's only going to be used on private land.

Mobility scooters are only exempt if they're electric, have more than 2 wheels, weigh less than 40kg, can only carry one person, and are designed such that they cannot exceed 10kph on flat level ground. You will still need to apply for approval to import it prior to doing so though, and provide some proof that it meets all the criteria:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. What JD said...
    In case you're not already in touch with a vendor, there's a friendly-seeming mob close to me in Kogarah: "Home Healthcare: (02) 9587 8165"
  3. Thanks-- I am specifically looking at a motorcycle scooter as opposed to a mobility scooter. He has to travel long distances. He currently has an electric trike, but up here in the Hunter Valley a 30kmh 40km range is pretty woeful on these roads where he has to contend with trucks and the 4wd brigade.
    Maybe it would be easier to get a scooter converted to something similar rather than import one?
  4. Would probably be easy to fit a sidecar to an existing (and approved) scooter.

There was actually a company selling scooters and Chinese Virago 250 copies with factory fitted sidecars, but I can't seem to find them (more than likely they've gone out of business). However I did stumble across something that looks like it might be perfect:
    150cc petrol, and looks to be priced somewhere around $5-6k new.
  5. I can't speak for the other states but WA has been known to grant significant exemptions from the ADRs for vehicles specifically built or adapted for the disabled. I've written a few myself for stuff that wasn't exactly piddling from the POV of the authorities. There's at least one Thalidomide victim driving around with their airbag legitimately disabled, for example, along with a zillion cases of controls not being in their legislated places.

Indeed, although I can't remember exactly where it is, ISTR that there is provision in our legislation for this. As a result I'd recommend contacting your local Vehicle Standards branch and speaking to one of their engineers (if they still have any) to see what might be possible.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hi krabi.

The person in question, are they in a wheelchair?

There are a few wee scooter, 3 wheelers, set up for a roll on roll off business specifically for wheelchair bound folk.

They are legal in NSW.

I think they are Honda Nippy, or possibly Nippi.

Have a browse thru :- http://www.d-ability.org/

7. Bloody Perfect!!

Thanks for the link, but no, he is not in a wheel chair. The young man in question had polio as a bub whilst in a refugee camp in the Congo. As a result, one of his legs atrophied. He is also stunted in growth. He has two strong arms (at 17 he can beat the lot of us at an arm wrestle) and one stronger leg, but that is on the decline.
    But the Manhattan scooter looks ideal!
  8. #9 mattb, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    I thought the Manhattan was crazy cool when I first saw it, however after reading the forums I see that quality is quite poor, that it is quite slow (you mentioned trucks and distance), that a number of people have taken whacks from the bubble falling sideways against them (a problem for your friend if he's not so solid), and a friend who worked in bike insurance told me his company wouldn't insure them. Then add the fact that you'd probably have to buy new - $5k when I was looking - which is not much less than a used Piaggio MP3 which should be good quality. http://www.bikesales.com.au/dealer/details/piaggio-mp3-250-2007-13582155?__Dx=mode matchany&__D=mp3&__sid=13925D791F5A&__Ns=p_PriceSort_Decimal|0||p_Make_String|0||p_Model_String|0&__Qpb=1&__Nne=15&__Ntt=mp3&__Ntx=mode matchallpartial&__Ntk=BikeAll&__N=1432 604 1430 1429 1626 1428
  9. what about a quad bike for him, that's what i use around here.
    • Like Like x 1