Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

gettin a Harley Davidson XL883 Sportster Custom

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by pot87, Jul 27, 2008.

1. hey guys,
    just thought i'll let you know whats going on with me. Well my 1980 Kawasaki Z250A is soon going up for sale soon, because i'm buying a brand new 2008/2009 Harley Davidson XL883 Sportster Custom which i'm getting towards the end of october. It's being built in America thats why it's taking a few months to get over here. I'm going to go for my open bike licence in a few weeks so then i will have it and dont have to worry about it anymore. So yeah my harley colour for the bike is pacific pearl blue and i'm getting the screaming eagle pipes put on it too so it will be one sweet sweet ride. So yeah anyway just thought i'll give you guys and update. So whats going on with you guys? anyone done anything exciting?.

2. #2 VCM, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  3. Wow, you're 21 yo, just getting an open license, and you're buying a brand new 2008 Harley?

That must be to add to the Porsche collection, eh?

:grin:

Anyway, good on yer!

4. yeah man i know i'm 21 but i work hard for my money so i thought why not buy a brand new harley davidson. So i did and yeah the next thing i'm going to buy or try to buy is a unit or a house and hopefully in the next 12 months or so i should have that aswell. So yeah i found a youtube video with the excat same bike as what i'm getting same colour same exhaust, but different seat.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H81n5DuvMsQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H81n5DuvMsQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

5. Congrats M8, I'm picking up a 1200 Nightster this week.
    If you want to learn a little bit about ya ride, get on to the Australian HD forum.
    www.hdforums.com.au
    There are plenty of sportster owners, some in QLD may be near ya.

6. Yeh seems a little young for a Harley, nice bikes, but i'd be looking at sportsbikes for the money, Harley's are for later on.

Hope ur got nice big Biceps and Goatee to suit :cool:

7. Not my cup of tea either but if you know what you want I say go for it. :wink:
    Post pics when you can and enjoy your bike.

You have to love what you ride. Stuff everyone else.

Hoo Roo Rod the 1200 caught my eye in a recent mag looks ok if you like that style but the tank is to small for any time in the saddle for mine.
    Interested to hear your thoughts one day.

8. the only reason why i didn't get a sportsbike is because i hurt my back a few years ago and i can't sit/ride one for too long. I love the crusier style as it suit me and i can ride for ages and my back doesn't get hurty. Yeah i will post pics up when i get it. I get the bike in like 11 weeks time. So yeah i will give you guys updates on how it's going. Sunshine Coast Harley Davidson is going to give me updates every few weeks to let me know how it's going which is good.

9. I too was intrigued by the nightster, until I sat on one, man that is one weird little bike, everything about it felt wrong, but each to their own and good luck.
    It would be a pretty dull world if we each rode the same bike.

10. Cool bike, if ya want a harley get one! nothing else will satisfy. :cool: :cool:

11. Yeah, definitely a bike for shorties. Love that retro look and was really disappointed that my knees were up around my ears. Even with forward controls I would have struggled.

Found the little 100th Anniversary model which IMO looks (almost) as cool as the Nightster. Amazing the difference 2 inches in the seat height makes. At 6 feet tall, I'd still go the forward controls tho.
    gx1vUryr.

12. I fully agree about them being for short riders.

My mate at work has a 1200 Sportster sporty with forward controls, and me measuring in at 6' 5" am way to big for it. The forward controls feel cramped.

13. First impressions, it rides a tad rough, but not that you get a sore butt, yes it has a small fuel tank, but I'm happy to run with that, the forward controls are a huge improvement over the mid's. Heaps of go, changed the pipes & fitted a fuelpak, sound is great.
    Will post some pics soon.
    Pot87, you won't be disapointed, I got the nightster simply because it's looks appealed to me.

14. i would reccomend getting a Crane CDI single fire ignition setup. makes the bike run ALOT smoother.

15. You'll probably find you will be replacing the rear shocks.

Useful link:

http://www.sportster.org/tech/883-1200/holt/

16. hey guys just thought me give u's an update on whats happening. Me harley is on her way over here as we speak and i should be picking it up from harley in 5-7 weeks. So yeah i'm all excited and wish i already have it.

With my old 1980 kawasaki z250a road bike i had it posted for sale on bikesales and i had heaps and heaps of time wasters call up and you know just stuffed me around..this one person rang me up from the north side of brissy and goes "can u meet me half way at morayfeild?" and i was like "mate i'm not going to meet u anywhere, u want to look at the bike u come to me and i'm a truckie i dont have time to meet people half way here..half way there, so u come to me and look at the bike". that was one of the classic phone calls i had, a few of them were from S.A and wanted me to freight the bike down to them on a train and me to pay for the freight and i told them to get stuffed.

so yeah i'm now keeping the old banger and i'm going to restore her back or near to original condition maybe with a few mods but yeah i'm going to keep it for my kiddies to ride. So yeah thats whats going on with that.

So yeah i also got me R class licence (open bike) on the 3rd of august and yeah i was hung over when doing me q-ride and i was riding not to my best of my ability and yeah i managed to pass it and yeah i had a big nite partying with my m8s the nite before i had like 17 beers and was out of it and didnt get to sleep until 2am in the morning and me test was at 9am-1pm. What i did was stupid i knew i had me test the next day and i shouldnt have drunken and got drunk the nite before. So yeah i dont condole that behaviour and yeah but still i got me R class licence oh yeah.

17. Pot never leave your log-in active again while you are out of the room, .

Pissing myself laughing :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

18. what u talking about active man? i loged out like i always do by hitting the log out button man.

19. I prefer these sudafed_plus.

20. hey my homies, i just thought i'll give you the low low low low down on whats going on with my harley. i went in a saw them yesterday cause me havent heard nothing from them for over 4 weeks and yeah they says to me that my harley should be arriving sometime after next week. I cant wait cause i'm riding around on my old banger and it lacks abit of power on the highway but still does the job. I raced my mate he was on his 98 ZZR 250 and i was on my old banger and he says to me "do you reckon your bike will keep up with mine?" i says to him "dont worry about that" and we were on the highway and my mate keep speeding up and slowing down and i got beside him and i looked and i just gave me old banger and i won. Then we were at the lights and he wanted to race again so i accepted and i won again, i blew him off. So it just goes to show it aint the ride it's the rider.