Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News Get Your Street Bike Ready for a Track Day

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' started by NetriderBot, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Given that you own a piece of machinery that makes sportscars look slow and cumbersome, it makes sense to want to push your bike closer to its limits in what is a far safer environment than public roads. But before you head off on your first track day with your street legal motorcycle, ensure you follow the below advice to get the most from your day.

1. Transport Your Bike If You Can

Not all of us are lucky to have a vehicle or a trailer to take a motorbike on, but it’s certainly convenient if you do when going to the track. The main reason why it’s beneficial to drive to and from the track with your bike in tow is fatigue. By the end of the day, trust us, you will be tired and if you’ve got a long way home afterwards it can be dangerous. Transporting your bike to the track is also an insurance in some respects – if you do bin your bike you’ll have a method to get it (and yourself) home.

2. Protect Your Bike

Many people fit crash protectors/frame sliders/oggy knobbs to their bikes which are often simple cylindrical pieces of steel that take the impact of a fall. Be wary though – there’s has been many a motorcycle that has slid from the tarmac onto the grass only to have the sliders dig into the dirt, flipping the bike over. It can potentially turn a cosmetic low side into a terminal crash that will see your bike destroyed. An alternative is to fit engine protectors which ensure the most expensive part of your bike doesn’t crack on impact but won’t cause your bike to flip if it hits the ground.

3. Bring Some Tools

Don’t go to a track on the assumption that your bike will work perfectly or that nothing will need adjustment. In addition to the tools that come with your bike, bring some extra spanners, sockets, screw drivers, pliers and whatever else you might need. It might be something as simple as adjusting clutch cables but if you don’t have the tools you’ll be hampered all day – or perhaps even unable to race.

4. Get Rid of Your Mirrors

Unlike on the street, your focus on a track day should only be in front of you. Your mirrors will therefore only distract you on focusing on braking points, turn in points and getting the correct line. If you’re worried about those behind you – don’t be. Just stick to your lines and faster riders will go around you and it’s there responsibility to do so safely. Most tracks will make it mandatory to fold your mirrors down or tape them up – but it’s much cleaner just to remove them for the day.

5. Consider Some Spare Levers

If you do have to ride your bike to the track, consider bringing along a set of spare clutch and brake levers. Cheap ones go for around $30 on eBay and AliExpress which is very cheap insurance considering that they’re one of the most common parts to hit the deck when you go down. There’s nothing worse than missing out on sessions because you can’t replace a part that takes less than 20 minutes to swap out.

6. Give Your Bike a Check-Up

Your bike will be under much more stress than when riding on the street which means it needs to be within its specifications. Ensure your chain slack is correct, that your clutch cable is operating correctly and that your brakes are working properly. From the front to the back of your bike, ensure there are no loose nuts and if there are tighten them accordingly.

7. Have Good Rubber

Your 20,000 kilometre old tyres don’t turn into slicks because you’ve gone down to the wear indicators. It’s critical that your tyres be in good condition because you’ll need plenty of grip when going around corners at speed. On the other hand, most riders don’t need top of the line rubber – good quality sportbike tyres that are made for the road are more than adequate for all but the best riders. You can lower your tyre pressures at the track too – a rough guide is about 34 psi at the front and 30-32 psi at the rear.

Continue reading...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Looks like a new chain.
  3. thanks for this post... looks like I've got more planning & prep to do before I sign-up for my first track day... first step will be to figure out how to transport my bike there and back...
  4. I'm keen as mustard for a track day...like keeeeeen. Thanks for this advice.

However I'm very conscious that I only have one bike which is my daily commuter. Would hate to bin it.

Another big point I've had mates of mine stress to me for my first track day, others can chime in as to the validity.

Food. Make sure you have sufficient high energy food for the day. Chips and pies from the track side chew and spew may be alright for some, but most will need more energy than that to stay on their game throughout the course of the day.
  5. Sound advice - but water too. Drink plenty of water.
  6. Slight thread resurrection - but does anyone know if there is any insurance you can take out for track days or CSS days etc? Don't think normal fully comp covers anything like this, so any advise gratefully received.
  7. Nothing I'm aware of for track days but I believe school days may be classed as advanced training courses and some insurance companies cover that. Give your insurer a call and inquire. You may be surprised.
  8. Cheers will do, they specifically exclude fm track days and competitive Motorsport, but no mention of advanced track training.... Will come back with results...
  9. Hah! Pleasantly surprised to find AAMI do indeed cover track days provided they are training rather than unorganised or competitive. Who knew!? Thanks jonnymacjonnymac
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. There are a few around that cover CSS level one i believe. There's also a mob that do insure track days and even racing but i can't imagine it'd be cheap.
  11. apparently these guys do but I haven't completed a quote with them yet. Motosure Motorcycle Insurance | Wallace Risk Solutions Insurance Brokers

I thought QBE would cover me for CSS Level 2, I just found out I did the day uninsured = ooops!