Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

get to know your bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by raven, Mar 31, 2007.

1. One thing that is often overlooked when first starting our riding, is how important it is to get to know the capabilities/limitations of your own bike.

Alot of discussion is centered around riding skills and techniques, but little is mentioned of the importance of knowing your bike.

Of course, we do become more familiar with our bikes just as a matter of progression as we try to improve our skills, but are you really paying attention to what your bike is telling you?
    Getting to know your bikes 'personality' is just as important as improving your own skills, so when you are out riding around, really try to 'tune-in' to your bike - develope a relationship with it.
    ie...It's both of you that are trying to push it a bit through those twisties, and neither one of you will/can make it without the other. It's more or less a team effort, and until the two of you are 'in-sync' you cannot reach your full potential. Your bike is doing it's best to listen to you - what are you doing?

It might all sound a little esoteric, but in the end...it IS just you and your bike, and you depend on each other.

Think about it.
  2. All you think is teh bkie is telling you to go faster........

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Who me? Im a slow rider. :?
  4. /me races down stairs and gives my bike a big cuddle.
  5. philosophically everything is 'alive' treat it well and it will treat you well :grin:
  6. Reminds me of that thread of the mechanic who did this; developed deep relationships
    with his customers cars; or rather their exhausts. :grin:
  7. I think what he says here is very true. I am a very new rider(first time in the road 2day) and found out that if I dont listen to my bike, Ill never get anywhere with it. You can try and not listen to ur bike and stubble along trying to fight your bike. And it wont b fun riding it.
  8. +1 Raven.

Even the mechanically challenged should get to know what their bike normally sounds like and what "normal" feed back through the bars, pegs and arse "feels" like.

...it took a while but I can tell when my tyre pressures are a tad low by the different "bump" the bike makes as it crests the gutter/lip of my drive way... not much help while in the twisties tho... lol

A bike is an inanimate object in the end, and any perceived "relationship" with it is really a one way thing (and purely in your mind!), but it will make you more likely to do the right things by the bike... oil, chain, tyres, services etc etc.

9. So like the difference between my bike and other CBR250RRs? When I went test riding for my current bike, I tried quite a few different types, but then narrowed it down to the CBR and ZXR. None of them felt the same - different suspension, different feel of the gears, some more touchy/jerky than others, some felt crisp while others felt old... all the "same" bikes, but clearly had there own characteristics based on how they were treated in the past.

On my current bike I've learned what revs it likes when it's doing twisties Vs cruising, when it's needing an oil change, when it's saying "that's enough lean" or "trust me, I can do it" or "please lube my chain!"...

Of course it's not human and doesn't actually "talk" to me, but it (she :wink: ) does react to me based on the state she's in, with the history she's had. We learn to listen to the feedback our bike gives us so we ride within the specific capabilities of our particular bike.

There's no point me following another CBR250RR rider going around a corner thinking "well he made it, I'm on the same bike - I can make it" coz even if our skills are exactly the same, our bikes are probably not, now that they've been on the roads for years.
  10. Totally agree here.

I'm also a new rider and always says to myself that the bike is there to help you, it wants to stay up right, it wants to respond to your input. You should never fight the bike but be "one" with the bike.

I think that thats the difference between cars and bikes. With a car, its like you are part of it. With a bike, it is part of you.

Dont know if that makes much sense but thats the way i see it.

I learnt this from my competitive shooting days. You really had to be in tune with the rifle. The pressure it liked on the grip, on the trigger, how to control the recoil ect. By the end, if you got it right you could know almost exactly where the bullet had gone without looking through the spotting scope.

Good post raven
  11. I have alway found it takes a good 3 to 6 months to really know the ins and outs of your new bike, well it has for me in the past :LOL:

Ride to survive
  12. i agree with raven, i like the team statement , now i can blame me bike as it blames me, till we are at one
  13. Fark Pinkxie!!... you angling to be a mentor?!!!!

Way to go chick!

Another thinking rider. :woot:
  14. i couldnt agree more with you mate. gotta know the bike as well know your limitations. takes more than 1 wk to know the bike. you might think you know the bike within a wk but trust me, you dont know. i guess thats why lots of people crash as well.
  15. Ha ha ha... Hell no! But thanks, Rob :oops: Although I do enjoy being Raven's assistant when he's mentoring. Sometimes he doesn't realise how little a learner can know. I'm so fresh from that level that I can help fill the gap. Usually I can tell the difference between the knowing nod and the "I don't want to look like an idiot"nod :LOL:

I like teaming up. When you know sooo much about a topic - all the subtlties, ifs, whens and buts, it's difficult to tell a noob where to start without overwhelming them. That's where I come in - I can insult a skill/concept horribly by making a general rule, and John explains it with more respect... a clear place to start while knowing there's more to it.

We were out helping a noob yesterday. Lots of fun :shock: :shock: :grin: :twisted:
    Top stuff, lopsided! She was learning how to get to know her particular bike in relation to posture, weight off the bars and letting the bike do its thing - working together. Now SHE'S a thinking rider!
  16. "Reminds me of that thread of the mechanic who did this; developed deep relationships
    with his customers cars; or rather their exhausts. :grin:-(/quote]"

I've seen that dvd...
  17. Can't agree more with Raven. Every car and motorbike I've had has had a "character". There's even been a car or two that I really hated, and it hated me back just as much. Same with steam engines - they all "talk" and have moods when you fire them up and drive them.

It's the best way to get an early warning of upcoming problems and issues, and developing this relationship takes time. Once it's there, you'll be far more comfortable riding, and likely to be a better rider to boot.