Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Get that frickin scooter off the Motorway!

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by dan, May 24, 2005.

1. I almost got wiped out today by a car on the motorway. He veered into my lane after overtaking a scooter - TWO UP - riding on the line between the left hand lane and the emergency lane - at about 60kph. Now there were plenty of other routes apart from the 100kph zone available.

My SR250 maxes out at 95kph, and I took an extra 10 minutes on the back roads to get to work so I didn't cause accidents on the freeway.

I love scooters, but like any vehicle, if you can't do close the posted speed limit, bugger off - you are endangering not just your own life.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

2. I think we all defend people's rights to ride scooters, but I agree that they shouldn't be ridden on the freeway if they can't do the posted limit (and this applies to any bike, as you have noted already about your own machine)
    Good sense.

3. I overtook a rather old Vespa scooter on the M1 the other day doing about 85km/h with 2 stroke love smoke ( ;) )pouring out of it. I'm not sure what was more hazardous, the slow pace of the scooter or the 'beacon' of smoke pouring out of it.

I see low speed scooters on the freeway as one step away from Segway's on a freeway; and they won't even let Segways on the local roads atm! ;)