Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Geraldton to Perth and return

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by middo, Nov 12, 2011.

1. I haven't been for long rides before, even after doing 40,000k's in 4 years. So here is a pic from my trip from Geraldton to Perth yesterday.

It was a bit of a learning experience for me.

Firstly, riding into a strong headwind for 4 hours is tiring. However, riding with a strong tailwind leads to unexpected speed. Without the wind rush, it is harder to estimate your speed without actually checking it. The winds I encountered were typical for WA, 30 km\h gusting to 50km/h.

Secondly, check that things are working beforehand. I thought I could charge my phone of the cigarette lighter I added via a usb adapter. I couldn't. (It needs more amps, so a direct phone charger from a cigarette lighter had to be purchased)

If you have a bag to carry (or a swag) and you are on a cruiser, position it so it becomes a backrest. This is a really good way of making the ride more comfortable. On the way down, I was sore after a couple of hours on the bike. On the way home, I was fine all the way and could have gone for a few more hours.

Lastly, look out for roos if touring in WA. They are kamikaze.

Photo taken at "Hangover Bay", just out of Cervantes (200km north of Perth).

Attached Files:

2. I've done the Mandurah - Kalbarri - Madurah recently on the new Ocean Drive on my naked bonnie.
    Stayed overnight at Northhampton pub so could we do the three pub crawl. Nice folks let us park the bikes on the verandah.

Wild animals just didn't get that there was a highway there now, never seen so much road kill in my life. Another rider (not with us) was cleaned up by roo just before Wanneroo.
    Hope you have many more great long rides.
  3. Thanks for the report Middo, we don't have many WA ride posts so it is good to see. Congratulations on your first long trip.
  4. Thanks Jomac,

The new road is littered with dead roos and emus, and the smell of some of them is something special. My missus remodelled the front of the cage on one a couple of months back near Jurien while driving home after dark.

For anyone considering the new coast road after dark on a bike - DON'T DO IT!
  5. Roo's are a nightmare, had 2 run out the other day near berrima, 1 went either side of the bike at 100km/, was a sphincter tightening moment,

Congratulations on your 1st big ride hope you get the oppurtunity and time to head out for many more