Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

generation disposable.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by twainharte, Jan 5, 2010.

1. wtf, apple! i like your products BUT is this how it's going to be?

left to right:

#1: purchased '02, i think. lasted till ~'08.

#2: acquired ~'08. seems to have died a cpl of days ago.

#3: placing bets now. who knows how long this one will last?

i'm saddened by technology today. seems that in this throw away society things were not built to last. somehow this has become acceptable practice with our high turnover of gadgets.

don't get me started on the dvd player, HP PC or more recently my cannon point and shoot digital which finally ****ing died today!

it's like pissing money away, i tell ya.](*,)

2. All Apples have worms..
  3. Never had an Apple product die on me. They're probably the most reliable of all the electronics that I own.
  4. You've got to be a smart buyer these days. It's hard to decide whether to spend a lot of money on a good quality tech or just buy something cheap, knowing that the latest and greatest is just around the corner.

I'm starting to shop for a 40" TV, but can't decide between plasma and lcd, or even to wait for LED screens to get cheaper. Oh well, guess I gotta do my homework. :)
  5. Ipod's one choice magazine's award for worst value product of the year a bit back. When nano's first came out they were shocking. if it lasted more than a couple months (ie. 2 or 3) you were lauging.
  6. A good observation, and not Apple-specific either.

I sold my first colour laser printer in 1985, as I recall. It was the size of a small country house, printed at 16ppm in mono and 4ppm in colour, had 8mb of memory, local connection only, and cost over $12,000. PostScript emulation cost an additional $1,200 and network connectivity about the same.

The other day I organised a local-connect-only colour laser for one of my school principals. It prints at 16ppm in mono and 4ppm in colour, has 32mb of memory, USB 2.0 connect and it cost $259.00. That's half the price of the black toner for the Lexmark machine, and at the end of the 1 year retrun-to-seller warranty, it will be just as simple to throw it away and buy another one.

Attached Files:

7. Yeah, I seem to be pretty lucky with them, but like all electronics I think a large part of it comes down to luck of the draw...

Personally 2002 through to 2008 (ish) for an mp3 player of any kind seems pretty good to me!

8. If you design a electronics item to last more than about 2 years now days, then you'll be to dear...
  9. its called planned obsolescence, which in turn leads to consumerism as the sheeple are told by the shiester spin doctors etc to buy product x with money they don't have to impress people who don't give a shit.

I stopped watching TV 100% 18 months ago, now its just a dust collector -- and life has never been better, I go outside more I talk to my neighbours get involved in community projects.

The older generations were correct when they termed it the "idiot box" as it puts you in some sort of Alpha (?) wave state of moroseness --- I cant link you to the studies but google it
  10. Really?!?!?! :shock:

I've still got my gen1 4GB nano ticking along fine in both performance and battery life, gets used everyday on the bike, gym and I fall asleep on it and roll over it a few times before I move it... toughest little thing I reckon.
  11. So instead of your "idiot box" receiving analoge RF from a TV station, it now receives digital from a server. Nothing special there [-(
    You can get electronics that last. Banks, hospitals and the such buy them. Where i work we buy computers guarenteed to last a minimum of X years. Dont expect to spend less than $10,000... on 3 year old technology. You all even do it with bike gear, if you feel the price is too high, you just import it from america, who import it in mass from china. If the items were to last a reasonable time (my dad has a leather jacket that his dad bought when he got his first bike... when was 20!!) then the order quantitys are smaller and the price higher. Its just the way it is... sorry :p
  12. not to mention that all the banks are running on mainframe systems that are decades old

they did cost a lot of money, of course :LOL:
  13. Oh god, I can not even fathom having to be part of the migration team for a bank system. That shit would seriously age you five years.
  14. Just checked, it was one of the top ten in chosen in no order

An iPod is a significant investment, so you don’t want your APPLE to be a lemon. And if there is something wrong with it, you’d expect an easy repair and warranty service. Podluck.

Level 1. Several readers complained about cracked screens, faulty batteries and problems with sound reproduction.

Level 2. APPLE doesn’t allow retailers to handle complaints under warranty (which is their obligation under Fair Trading laws) — you have to send your faulty iPod to APPLE yourself via Australia Post. And if they decide the fault isn’t covered by the warranty
    (my edit, which google says they did frquently), you’ll have to foot the entire bill.

The nano comment was in relation to friends who had them and how long they lasted.
  15. I like disposable electronics.
  16. First ipod lasted ~1 year, by the time that 12 months was up pieces were so munted I had to rebuild half of it each time I used it. Second ipod lasted ~year, probably less and is now just a paperweight.

There was no third ipod.
  17. Would you prefer they last eight to ten years and cost $2k each?
  18. Not true. There are quite a few authorized Apple service centres in the cities and suburbs. You take it in to one of them, if it's under warranty and the problem is hardware, it gets replaced.

Places like JB and Dick Smith can't handle repairs, no, but that's because Apple has standards on who they'll let do service work of any sort.
  19. My alarm clock has lasted me about ten years and only cost me 20 bucks :p

And a cheapo mp3 player I bought 3 years ago off a friend at school for ten bucks works fine still.
  20. =D>

So do the overwhelming majority of the things I own.

Most HD-based media players die because the owners don't take care of them: You've got a disk spinning at 4,200rpm in your pocket. Try not to jolt it.

Nanos and such tend to be quite reliable, but as with all portable devices, the internal battery can die, which is the most frequent complaint. Again, often the user should acknowledge their part of the problem: When it drains, put it on the charger. Don't let it sit with a flat battery for three weeks at a time.