Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

General Question on Dazzling headlights

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by V2, Feb 16, 2009.

1. In Queensland, you loose points if you dazzle. I assume other state are similar and I assume this means flashing your headlights. I've got two questions on this :-

1) I thought this was an acknowledged method of warning oncoming drivers there is something wrong! If you see a car driving at night without lights on or something else that may even be life threatening - you flash them to let them know something is wrong. Is this illegal now?

2) I suspect it is illegal as it is also often used to warn other drivers there is a radar ahead. If so, I again ask why! All radars are supposed to have a sign up saying there is a radar in use. Wouldn't flashing headlights be an extension of this warning system?

More bureaucracy gone mad?

2. I suspect they refer to high beams when passing other vehicles at night.

The use of headlights as a warning tool is justified, deaf people drive too.
  3. What state? Make sure you change your title to reflect this.

Maybe in QLD and NSW you are supposed to have signs up to say there is a radar in use (lucky bastards) but definately not in the Victorian Revenue State.
  4. [​IMG]

Mo schnizzle in yo dazzle...
  5. I would agree with this.

Also re- the signage, that is not the case in some other states. Here in Vic they do not put signs up when using laser and radar.
  6. Now if the post above ()Peter Allan) is what Dazzling is - I agree handing out tickets for this sort of behavior is necessary!
  7. It'd be related to not dipping your headlights towards oncoming traffic.

Flashing headlights, even at drivers who might need being warned isn't always the best. A driver who is dazzled will tend to steer towards the source of that light.
  8. As someone who rides on a freeway/highway at night, you find a lot of people with high-beams (or bright HID :( ) on unnecessarily and they don't dip at all. While it is an offense in NSW, I doubt any cop would be bothered chasing down someone for a relatively minor offense even if it can cause an accident.
  9. i remember a story in the paper a few years back of a driver charged for flashing high beams to warn of police ahead in broad daylight, a unmarked car travelling the other way claimed the lights dazzled and disoriented him , the judge upheld the conviction in court, not sure of the charge they used it was either nsw or vic,
  10. We have to talk about this.
    You keep doing my job!

Rule 218 (1) (b) of the Vic road Rules mandates that you must not use high beam if you are less than 200 metres from an oncoming vehicle.
  11. Do you think that means only setting high beam to 'on', or does it include the 'flash' button that nearly every vehicle now has?

And on the subject of warning other drivers, I've heard pub talk that the police can charge you with a criminal offense for letting others know about radar and cameras (interfering with police in the execution of their duty, or somesuch) - true or not?
  12. It's an interesting thought.

In NSW, fixed speed cameras are (generally) placed in locations where drivers need to slow down in order to reduce risk - tunnels, dangerous corners, school zones, etc. NSW tends to address the immediate needs of localised areas rather than mandating that everyone do the exact speed limit 100% of the time.

They are heavily signposted, to ensure that you slow down. No point sending a person a ticket after they've sped dangerously through an area for two weeks running, afterall.

Theoretically, police enforcing speed from the side of the road would also target problem areas for speeding - and so drivers warning each other of the need to slow down would serve the same purpose as the "slow down - camera ahead" signs. They would serve to immediately improve the safety of the area. That's good... isn't it?

But then, compare and contrast with the Victorian "Any speed, any where, any time" universal and strict enforcement of speed limits, using trained ninjas, hidden cameras, SAS teams, police aircraft and spy satellites to punish anyone who dare travel 5kph over on an empty, flat freeway...

I could see the Victorian policy on speed enforcement punishing anyone who dare warn their fellow drivers of the need to slow down. :?

Not that any of this has bearing on whether it's legal or not. I just find it interesting to compare the two different philosophies behind speed enforcement.
  13. There used to be an offence under the old motor traffic act NSW for this. It was there to prevent people being warned about getting a ticket by other driver. Not for fixed radar, but car mount and hand held units.

I'm not sure if it exists under the current ARR/State interpretation rules. If it does it would be a carry over from the old law and they would have a different spin on it these days, because they don't want to suggest they are revenue raising in any way.

btw I've never heard it referred to as "Dazzling" before.
  14. I'm not exactly sure if that is what Dazzling is either, but am guessing it is? Page 23 says Dazzling is a 1 point offense, then on page 24 it has failure to dip headlights as a separate offense?

Qld Demerit Points
  15. Dazzling - the process of flashing/mooning this guy.