Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

General Maintenance for Carby Ducati 900 SS

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by 92_Ducati_900_SS, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Ive had the bike for a year or two now and im realy wanting to do more general stuff on it myself. Services for the Duc CAN get expensive but im also a very "hand on" kinda guy too (Or so the ladies tell me) and i realy enjoy learning more and understand more about the bike.
    Is there a service manual/book/ or other usefull literatruere out there for carby 900 supersports? What general things AM i capable of doing to it myself? What special tools may i need and where (if at all possible) can i get them from? Any picture, instructions, advice, anything at all would be helpfull from the most simple mondayne easy simple things to the most techicaly difficult. I want to hear and know it all. So yeah just say anything and everyhting guys you can think of.Things like what fluids best to use in it, Any little tricks or things i need to know when doing things like oil changes or anything at all. Just treat this thread like i know nothing.

Hopefully this can then also help anyone else who may have just bought a Ducati and is also looking for general maintenance advice too.
    (its not just about helping me but helping others too)

Thanks guys!
  2. you should be able to easily at home

with the help of spanners

change oil + filter find the odd looking screw that has a lid around it. Thats most likley your oil filter. find another odd looking screw at the bootom of ur engine thats probaly ur oil drainage

change break fluide Check the articles section

adjust chain check the articles section

adjust break clutch throttle leavers

change sprokets ( u will need a center stand or a car jack or to suspend the bike)

Change break pads (and disc very rarley)

U can pick up a filler gauge and do ur clearances (20$) articles section once again

u can grab a vacume/mrecury gauge and sync ur carbs (120$ from ova seas)

and thats just about everything that will happen at a majour service.
    Go hunt around for a manual and that will give u all the precise measurements

+carb clean
  3. The books and stuff you'll want:
    * Haynes 2V desmo book from Haynes
    As an example, CA-Cycleworks in California (really, really excellent Ducati source, post super-fast to Australia as well) have one -- http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/img/haynes.jpg
    which can be purchased via http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/maint.html

* The Desmodue book from Desmotimes
    An excellent resource, again available from that CA-Cycleworks link.

Plenty of other sources for those books tho, e.g. Pitshop bookstore in Australia should have the Haynes manual.

Also, there are some excellent things on Youtube - again CA-Cycleworks are the providers, and they have an excellent series of videos on how to do the maintenance. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=cacycleworksdotcom
    DVDs of Ducati maintenance can also be purchased, but really, those YouTube videos are perfect.

Special tools: http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/tools/index.html
    SpeedyMoto also have some good special tools: http://secure.speedymoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
    MotoWheels is another excellent source for all of your special tools needed: http://www.e-securedsite.com/motowheels/ITALIAN/index.cfm
    (I've purchased a few things from there).

The best source of information for the desmodue motors like in your SS is going to be the MonsterList (www.ducatimonster.org), mainly because so many more Monster 900s have been sold than 900SS. In terms of servicing the engine and stuff like that, the Monsters are damned similar, and 99% of your questions can be answered on the DML.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with Desmotimes themselves: http://www.desmotimes.com/
  4. Hey Paul, I don't know a thing about Dukes but I do know that the Adelaide crew are certainly not short on mechanical tinkerers. Have you been down to Wed coffee and met any of the guys?

I reckon for the cost of a six pack you could have Trent, Simon, Sketchie and a bunch of the lads around to point, laugh and help out while you figure your carbs out.

...As long as you don't mind talking about rotaries. In fact, letting any of the adelaide crew near your bike with a spanner may result in your bike being retrofitted with an RX7 engine.
  5. This is going great!

Keep that info flowing. Should proove very usefull for not jsut me but others in the future.

Ill even keep adding to this as i find out stuff also.
  6. [quote='92_Ducati_900_SS]This is going great!

Keep that info flowing. Should proove very usefull for not jsut me but others in the future.

Ill even keep adding to this as i find out stuff also.[/quote]
    In terms of ease, from simple to hard:
    1. Oil change. Just need to ensure that you have an allen key that fits the sump plug... The biggest problem is that the sump plug allen key bit is tapered, so nothing fits properly. Aftermarket plugs are definately worth it. Also ensure you tighten the sump plug correctly - too much and you crack the sump, too little and you will lose it. Always use a new brass crush washer.

2. Spark plug change - not hard, just use the right plugs, and a tip is to use a bit of garden hose on the ceramic bit up top to get it started, and some anti-seize.

3. Sprockets and chain - not hard on an SS or any other single-swingarm models. Just torque everything up, but there are plenty of good guides on this sort of stuff.

4. Brakes. Not that hard, Brembo stuff is usually nice to work on. Just changing the pads isn't hard, just gotta remember to push the pistons back. Again, lots of generic guides.

5. Carby sync - use the right tools, use a book to make sure you plug everything to the right spots. Carbie overhalls aren't hard, either, they're generic, just can be fiddly getting to the carbies.

6. Timing belt - not hard to do, especially on the older 2V models. Couple of special tools, a few hours, and you'll get it done. I believe the older (Pre 96ish?) Ducatis need the belts done every 10,000km, and you really want to do it either that or every year or so (they do crack and deteriorate). Plenty of guides out there for this, there are various methods of ensuring the correct tension - usually comes down to having enough, but definately not having too much.

7. Valve service - the tricky bit of any work on a desmo. 2V motors are definately easier than a 4V; all the books have great guides on this, and it isn't hard, just time consuming and fiddly. Also need to ensure you have a good set of feeler gauges, and that you know someone you can flog shim kits from (like your local friendly Ducati club).

Rest of it, electrical, don't touch, it's Italian so you'll let the magic smoke out. Bodywork is usually pretty good, just put everything back where it came from...
  7. ohhh so thats where the italians keep it then? yeah dont worry about that!. I hate electrical. It confused me and im seriously no good at it. As far as my electrical skills go i can hook up a VCR to the tv and thats it. SO yeah the electricals are a "NO GO" area for Me.
  8. [quote='92_Ducati_900_SS]
    ohhh so thats where the italians keep it then? yeah dont worry about that!. I hate electrical. It confused me and im seriously no good at it. As far as my electrical skills go i can hook up a VCR to the tv and thats it. SO yeah the electricals are a "NO GO" area for Me.[/quote]
    To be perfectly honest, the carby ones aren't bad for electrical stuff, as in, there are a lot less things to go wrong. The really modern Ducatis are good, in that they seem to have worked out that electronics should be done by someone who knows what they're doing.

Anyway, that's my 2c on Ducati servicing and repairs. Can't say I've done much on my S2R1k, it hasn't required it yet! Once it's out of warranty (mid-2008) then I'll start doing everything myself.

They aren't hard to work on, they just require some knowledge, probably a bit more than your average bike. Once you know it, they're no harder, and really, lots of people jump in boots and all servicing Japanese bikes and get it wrong - in some areas, the Ducatis just have a higher price for failure. In others, they're actually not that bad.