Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

General maintenance book

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by bike=freedom, Apr 25, 2006.

1. HI All, just wondering if anyone knows of a book that will give step by step instructions on general bike maintenance (covering all models)i.e. chain adjustment,brake pads,oil filter and so on. As i cant always get on the net to get info . Thanks for your time.

2. what bike have you got and someone could be able to point you to a downloadable manual for your bike specifically...
  3. The Haynes Motorcycle Book; ISBN 1 85960 868 X published in 2002 is a basic guide. It cost around $40.
    I saw another book which is an American motorcycle technician apprenticeship training manual at Melbourne Technical Books. It is generalised but goes into greater detail. I think it was retailing at somewhere between $150 - 200, as many "text" books do.
    HTH. :)
  4. Thanks. I have looked to download a manual for my VTR 250 but, i'm after a book like G has suggested. :grin:
  5. I would also recommend you do a short course at your local TAFE on Motorcycle Maitenance....most of the good ones have one or two sessions a year.

:grin: :grin: :grin:
  6. Thanks for the link Spud Gun.
    I hadn't seen the Maintenance tech book nor the Modifying Motorcycles book, partly as I haven't been frequenting the Melb Tech Book Shop as often since it moved to LaTrobe St. I like the look of those and will check them out. :grin:
  7. The American book I mentioned before is called Motorcycles: Fundamentals, Service, Repair. ISBN 1-56637-479-0
    by Johns,Edmunson, Sharff
    HTH. :)
  8. http://www.amazon.com/dp/185960868X/?tag=netrider-20

$15 at Mcgills :)
  9. Wow that is a great price.
    I bought mine when it first came out, you pay a pemium at that point, although did get a Ducati Club discount at the time.
  10. Doh,

just got this.

Hi Warren,
    your web order has been processed and the book – THE MOTORCYCLE BOOK – has been ordered for you.

The book is however is now $39.95, not $15.00 as indicated on our web site. The $15.00 cost is an old edition which has fallen out of print.
    I apologise for the mix up.

If you wish to discontinue with the order please let me know and I will do so immediately. If not, I will contact you as soon as the order arrives which will
    be in 7 – 10 working days.

I'll still be getting it anyway :)
  11. To add to the post from lil, up here (Brisbane) they do basic motorcycle maintenance training as part of the Q-Ride course and have it as a separate little course ($40ish) at most dealers. So it might be worth ringing dealers/mechanics to see if they offer a similar course. It'll give you hands on experience so it's not so daunting the first time you play with your pride and joy.