Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC General issue number plates

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by kiet88, Nov 2, 2010.

1. I will keep my existing number plate

23 vote(s)
  2. I will change to a new number plate

2 vote(s)
  1. Hi All,

I received my rego renewal today int he mail. I open the envelop and there was a pamphlet saying that Victoria are changing its motorcycle number plates.

Where previously we had letter letter . number number number (AA 123). The new plates will now be number letter number letter letter (1A 2BC).

Existing motorcycle have the option to keep their existing number plates or get new plates free of charge...

So who here is going to get a new number plate? and who will keep their existing number plate?

2. im gunna make mine 1D1OT
  3. will change, more confusing, harder to remember.
  4. .............Why?
  5. So its harder for people to remember our plates and dob us in :wink:.
  6. yep - i've always wanted a plate that was just the VIN :)
  7. G'day everyone,...

I'm keeping my current plates as they are custom,..
    Though if it was'nt for them I know I could just blend in with everyone else,...

Dr Who?
  8. I suspect with the rising numberplate registrations they want to create more possible combinations

Char Char Int Int Int: 26 x 26 x 10 x 10 x 10 = 676,000 combinations

Int Char Int Char Char: 10 x 26 x 10 x 26 x 26 = 1,757,600 combinations
  9. Fair enough I guess.. They'd be about running out by now I'd say too? 700,000 isn't that many.
  10. Must be due to the high volume of registrations, but they will probably open up some form of "prestige" or "euro" style plate or something like you can get for cars.
  11. :rofl: Keep tellin' yourself that, Doc!
  12. You can get coloured plates now too (your regular licence plate number, not a custom one), and they only cost $175 (instead of $500 for custom ones).

It's a tempting way to make the bike's derrière a little sexier.
  13. Good way to hand the man more money too. I will always have standard plates. Hmmm but colour might reduce contrast of the numbers.
  14. I love conspiracy theories especially when it comes to Vicroads. Try a few of these....

The new plates will:

Have a microchip installed so John Brumby can spy on you from his office
    Have some other embedded technology to assist speed detection devices
    Disintegrate if you speed

Apologies for these lame thoughts
  15. do i paid my rego and got the new number plate this week...

doesnt look too bad...
  16. Why bother changing? It's not as though you get to choose the new number. And technically, you don't actually own it anyway.
  17. That could come in handy, speed and not be able to be taken by a camera. Just need to keep telling VicRoads that your plate(s) were stolen [again] :-s
  18. yep the new bike has the mix of letters and numbers and the other bike will get it too, certainly loks hard to pick up the plate with them all mixed in :D , oh and i can dispell the myth the new ones track your speed and issue you a ticket :-w
  19. My renewal came in the mail the other day with no such pamphlet. Interesting.
  20. Maybe it's only plates of a certain age. Wouldn't make sense to replace plates recently issued.