Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

General Bike Service Costs

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mitchoby, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Hey all,

I've just had my first major service for my kawa z750 (24,000kms) and was startled at the cost $950 (most of which was labour). More concerning is that I need to do a major valve clearance every 24,000kms.

Just wondering what most people pay for a major bike service and whether other brands of bikes require the valve clearance so frequently.

2. Sounds like you should have posted on this forum prior to above service also sounds like you need to change your service centre quick smart. Major services should vary between $300-600. A grand for a service is a joke.

Was there anything out of ordinary wrong with it?
  3. they seen you comin
  4. Name and shame
  5. When I had my zx6r it was a clearance check every 10,000kms and it costs me heaps due to riding a lot of kms.

The valve check interval was one of the key considerations when choosing my then next bike yammie r1 which had checks every 42,000kms. It never needed a shim in over 100,000kms.
  6. Valve clearances will put the labour time up, but I'm not in a position to comment as I simply don't put bikes in for servicing... I do it myself. Heres a rough guide to the cost of your own toolkit:

Spanner set (roll type): $30~150
    Screwdrivers: $5~30
    Allen (hex) keys: $10~25
    Feeler gauge: $20~50

All up you're looking at about $100 for a basic 'start up' toolkit and with that you should be able to do pretty much anything bar a major engine strip and disassembly. The cost will vary depending on brands and quality. The basic stuff will do the job just as well, however. Anywho, just something to think about.

I have to do the valves every 1500km or so on my XR600, but then again theres only four of them and they're easy to get at. Takes probably 20~30 minutes and I'm good to go. Your engine would require a bit more to access the valves but I would imagine you could easily do it on a weekend afternoon.

Cheers - boingk
  7. Valve clearance check shouldnt cost that much, get it done while you get other work done in the area. You dont really need to be THAT religious with it if you take care of your bike with regular oil changes, and dont go everywhere in 2nd gear at stupid-RPM.
    My valve check cost about $80 while they were nearby working on the carby anyway. (carby clean, new plugs, valve check (and adjust, even though it didnt need it), new air filter, and something else small was $350 parts and labor total).

Valve adjustments and what not i cant speak for, they only checked mine and all was good.

Admit im a little scared if i go with a VFR800... VTEC and valve work... hmmm.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
  8. A check should cost almost as much as a proper adjustment, as they still have to get in there and physically check the gap with a feeler gauge. Some places are more than happy to do a snow job on you and not even check them, so be careful and go with a trusted mechanic or workshop.

I understand if you don't want to DIY or don't know how... but neither did I not so very long ago. I also wanted to ride motorcycles and not have to spend large amounts maintaining them, so learnt as much as I could from family/friends/the net/service manuals and good old fashioned hands-on experience. I firmly maintain that if you do not want to pay the service fee, then learn how to do it yourself.

At the very pared-to-the-bone least you should learn how to do your oil, coolant, all filters, the spark plugs, brake pads, brake fluid and chain tension. Greasing the chassis joints is also a quick, easy user-maintenance item... although even mechanics sometimes neglect that one. That way you only really need to put your bike in for servicing when the valves are due for inspection or you're up for new tyres/sprockets/chain. Valves and carburettor work are merely the next step in self-servicing, as the rest is merely 'plug and play' and reasonably hard to stuff up.

Regards - boingk

PS: I'm available most weekends (Southern Highlands) if you want to arrange a basic mechanics session.
  9. I have a zed 750, and I do pretty much everything but the stuff that is actually hard.

Oil, pads, coolant, brake fluid, plugs and whatever is quite easy with a basic tool kit.

I got a mechanic to do the valves, and balance the throttle bodies for the grand sum of 120$.

I run the thing on a uni budget, and I treat it like a princess in the maintenance department. Go somewhere else for a service, or learn how to do some of the stuff yourself. 950 is pretty nuts.
  10. one post wonder???
  11. Mine costs that much for the 24k service. They do valves, belts the whole lot.

But because I am a bit tight, i'll just do fluids and general check-up myself :)
  12. Hell yeah, so there are people with modern bikes out there that service them themselves!

Good work guys.

Out of interest, what 'belts' are required to be changed at the 24k on a Z750? I thought they had camchains, and not cambelts.

Cheers - boingk
  13. Why? The sprockets and chain are one of the things items that I do myself - and I take my bike to the mechanic for scheduled services (I do regular oil changes and other general stuff myself).
  14. Hey, I say go the whole hog and do everything, gordy!

Merely saying that the things I listed didn't require any special tools, the removal of a wheel, a bike stand, or anything like that. Chains/sprockets usually neccessitate that, but again theres no reason you can't do it yourself if you have the tools, know-how, and confidence to do so.

Cheers - boingk
  15. This was the breakdown for my first major service, the bike has 38,130km on the clock, I dont know if this was for a 40k or 50k service. The support and head mechanic seemed pretty good but is this a fair price?

On a side note, I cant seem to perform the "U" turn test as well now with the new rounded Metzeler tyres as compared with my old stock XVS650 tyres. On the positive side my high speed turns can actually be done at high speed :).

16. wow...i paid $22 for a genuine yamaha air filter from the dealer and fitted it at home

this seems expensive?

is this normal??? i might check with my dealer how much they charge for labour before i commit to a service

damn...hate to be you

overall, thanks for the post Mal, really helpful and gives me a good idea of what to expect and what to look out for in future.
  17. AznCruiser that fee seems awfully high.
  18. Yeah I was given the choice of a K&N or a genuine filter which would have been cheaper, I opted for the K&N.

The things we do for love.

After years of maintaining and fixing a twin turbo modified 300zx this was actually a refreshing change.

In what way? I mean the tire prices which made up the bulk seemed reasonable. I am a noob to these things though.
  19. Didn't realise the service fee included tyres as well. I've never paid 1K for a car for a service so for a bike it seems a bit on the high side. Have you shopped around or did you take it to the 1st workshop you came across.
  20. nearly $100 for rear brake pads inc postage !!!! struth. they carbon fibre of something :) ?

the price of tyres looks ok. I've got a set of Metzeler M3's on mine.

No oil filter or included in the price of oil ?

does seem high, but there was a fair bit done to the bike.