Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Gembrook area - Police blitz on bikes

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by chicken78, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Maybe nothing new, but was front page news in the pakenham leader.

http://pakenham-cardinia-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/blitz-on-bad-bike-habits-in-cardinia/

"Operation Upright will focus on the Gembrook-Cockatoo area and include extensive patrols, Friday to Sundays, 9am to 7pm, in a bid to cut motorcycle accidents in the area this summer.

>>HAVE YOUR SAY: Have you seen irresponsible motorcycling behaviour in other parts of Cardinia? Tell us below.

Acting Sgt Peter Henderson said the operation, financed by TAC, would start on Sunday and be in addition to other surveillance of the hills areas during the summer.

“We are looking for those who ride while intoxicated, those who speed and those who are clearly using their vehicles beyond their level of experience,” he said.

“The warmer weather puts more motorcyclists on our roads and the riding challenges of the hills seem to attract both the responsible and the irresponsible.

“We will be on the job around the clock as usual, but this summer on weekends we will have an additional 10-hours-a-day presence through the daylight hours, thanks to a $33,000 grant from the TAC.”

He said the operation also aimed to help less experienced riders better understand safety issues.

“We will have advisory leaflets for riders we intercept or who ask for them,” Sgt Henderson said. “The prime aim of this project is to encourage responsible behaviour and to educate those who want to do the right thing.

“We will show zero tolerance to those who do not.”

While accurate accident figures for last season were not immediately available, he said they were high enough to attract police attention.

“There is no doubt in our minds the Cockatoo-Gembrook area needs special attention. It doesn’t matter what we do to make the roads safer here and through the hills, stupidity is always likely to end in tragedy. We will leave no stone unturned to prevent that.”

The last fatal motorcycle accident in the area was on the Gembrook-Launching Place Rd, on April 20. A 20-year old lost his life when his bike ran off the road in the late afternoon."

• Like Like x 8
  2. Re: On the trail of bikes - Call to get a handle on laws (City of Casey)

WTF? "Sorry sir, you were riding your bike like a professional but you've only had your license for 1 year, so here's a fine..."

So there is zero chance you'll be able to go for a ride without being pulled over to be "given an advisory leaflet" ie - bent over

Money grabbing, beige cardigan, self-righteous ****s

Come down to the GOR instead!

3. Re: On the trail of bikes - Call to get a handle on laws (City of Casey)

Thanks for that chicken :)

Have not read the local rag for ages.... Now I know to go riding out Gippsland and other surrounds and stay away from Gembrook-Cockatoo

EDIT:Actually it really dont bother me as I will be off the bike all summer due to surgery :(

4. Re: On the trail of bikes - Call to get a handle on laws (City of Casey)

True, much better to not see them hiding in the bushes like dogs & get a fine two weeks later. At least it won't ruin your ride on the day :rofl:

5. Re: On the trail of bikes - Call to get a handle on laws (City of Casey)

Bloody hell. It seems you Victorians are just getting screwed more and more.

The sad thing is that the spin the authorities use convinces (brain washes) enough people to let them get away with even more draconian laws.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Re: On the trail of bikes - Call to get a handle on laws (City of Casey)

VicPol for hire? Can the TAC just throw money at them and tell them to run an operation like that? Absurd. I reckon we get some fundraising together, send it to VicPol along with some instructions to harass the TAC.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Re: On the trail of bikes - Call to get a handle on laws (City of Casey)

bullshit '' no figures available if they are high enough to attract Vic pol attention you know the figures .. Why is the TAC giving you money if you can't show the figures ??

This just pisses me off . I live here I pay $2000.00 per year in rates $500 plus for car reg $500 plus for Bike reg .Now I can't go out my front door and ride around my local area safely and within my limits without looking over my shoulder or around the next tree for this TAC funded nanny campaign .

another pro vic pol news story in this news paper . I'm going to start keeping score..

thanks Chicken for the heads up :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Re: On the trail of bikes - Call to get a handle on laws (City of Casey)

Thanks also for the heads up. (Now after today's ride should I be expecting something in the mail ???)

Al.

9. Re: On the trail of bikes - Call to get a handle on laws (City of Casey)

dont get out there but thanks for the heads up..

what a fkin scummy operation...

10. Re: On the trail of bikes - Call to get a handle on laws (City of Casey)

"to educate those who want to do the right thing"

wtf is that supposed to mean.

"stupidity is always likely to end in tragedy. We will leave no stone unturned to prevent that.”

hahahahahahahaa

11. Re: On the trail of bikes - Call to get a handle on laws (City of Casey)

They didn't quote the stats because they'd be embarrassed - the stats wouldn't support the claim. This is just more of the same cynical approach.

12. Probably worth a reminder that if you don't have to travel through the area, don't. Or if you do, play nice. Beware any bike cat and mousing you.

13. Excellent news.

I live out that way, and yes there are a lot of weekend warrior type of riders that get out there and terrorize our roads. Is it all of a sudden a race track?

Good on the coppers here for doing something proactive. If you dont break the law, you wont get booked. Problem?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Anyone riding out there should keep this thread in mind, and let us know how they were treated.
    As stated, this operation is a TAC idea. I for one would be most interested to hear how aggressively the plod on the ground are in following through on their brief.

15. Words fail me.

16. i'd really love to know the contents of these self help leaflets they hand out.

because i want to do the right thing, whatever the **** that is.
    but i believe strongly in doing the right thing. for i believe that good will always overcome evil and i need to do my bit to fight Satan and his minions

17. Words don't fail me...

You will be stopped just because you're on a bike - not because you are doing anything wrong.

Your bike will be scrutinised and if found non ADR compliant, you will get a talking too at best and a defect notice at worst. If it's the worst, then you will be taken off the roads for some time in the future to rectify the notice, even if the notice is bogus... this is what the TAC wants - fewer riders on the roads equals a reduced exposure - and a claim of a successful operation.

You will also get some propaganda to make sure your attitude and behaviours are in line with the desired outcome...

...and all you've done for all this free advice is ride a motorbike.... and this is ok?

Well done mate.

You know, two RECENT operations they ran in the Yarra ranges which VicPol publicised the data on, showed that riders were the least likely to infringe the road laws... which was interesting because there were specific motorcycle safety operations too...

• Like Like x 4
  18. +1 doug

They can keep their TAC funded propoganda leaflet. Id rather help save a tree.

19. That's right rob, from memory although the were targeting bikes, they booked a sh&tload of cars and only a handful of bikes....

It's all about TAC bragging rights...

20. So the cops by their own admission are mercenaries, being funded by an insurance agency. OUR registration and TAC moneys are used to fund police rather than their intended customers.
    What is wrong with this picture? All the other shit in this thread is irrelevant.