Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Geelong Learner

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by llkk52, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I did a bit of riding over the summer O/S and loved it. I've always wanted a bike and everything has lined up that this year is perfect for it. I'm going for my L's in 3 weeks with StayUpright.

I'm hoping to buy a bike pretty soon after that. I'm very keen on a good condition spada for my first bike but will try out a few different things.

I think thats enough about me! Thanks again for all the reviews/reports/guides etc stickied in the forums; they make it very easy for new people to read up on things.

- Tim.

2. Welcome to NR Tim. Man, waiting 3 weeks would kill me... I hate missing 1 day of riding. Good luck and let us know how it all goes. Once you get your bike, come down to a few rides and introduce yourself. Are you a Cats fan?
  3. Ha, yeah I was trying all sorts of combinations to get it sooner; but it wasn't going to happen. Will definitely try in on a few learner rides.

Being born in Geelong sort of make you a cats fan by default I've found! I follow, but not religiously.
  4. Don't say that too loud, you'll get stoned as a heretic.
  5. Welcomd to Netrider, Tim! The Spada is a pretty cruisy bike - nice choice and good luck with your L's. :)
  6. Hi Tim and welcome to NR
  7. Welcome to Netrider! I recommend a Yamaha XVS650 as your first bike, if you don't have the cash then you can pick up a Yamaha XV535 for about the same price as a spada, and you won't outgrow it as quick as a Spada. They're also easier to handle than the 650 due to their lighter weight, have more power to weight, have a proven track record of extremely long term reliability and I reckon they're easier to maintain than the Spada due to their ease of engine access. If you don't like the stock handle bars of the XV535 then you can easily get a pair of straighter handlebars at a reasonable price.
  8. Welcome to the Netrider Nuthouse, Tim :).

I like how kernel thinks (y).
  9. Thanks for the advice. I'd never have looked at one. I'll try to take one for a ride. amongst others before settling on something.
  10. Take both for a test ride, if you find your legs are a bit too long for them and you feel cramped but everything else is great, then get a forward controls kit.

Edit: Hmm, had a bit of a look online and XV535's are about as rare as duck's balls atm... well they've always been. None in Victoria. Goes to show how good a bike they are, nobody wants to sell them.
  11. Welcome tim you could also chek out the yammy zeal.
    Cheap and plentiful.