Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Geek stuff] What should i do with my server??

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by booga, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Hello all,

I have a perfectly good apache, php and mysql server sitting next to me currently serving a test page :roll: ...

What, O, What should i do with the server... I set it up a while ago, so it all works, but need content... Anyone got any ideas?? :?:

2. hmm depending on what traffic you can manage/pay for each month. Pics/movies server (of bikes?). Maybe games review page. A blog of motorbike rides by riders?

Want anything bike related or literally anything? There's a plethora of stuff you can use for a server! :)

Did you want your stuff to be private or (semi?) public as well?

3. Project Page: Resurrecting a CBR250RR

4. Some good sugestions....Well its my home server, and uploads dont get counted :D so its whatever my bandwidth can handle (prob no big downloads tho)... I meant litterally anything, expect p0rn, thats alllll mine ;) :p ... I just cant get my brain to think of something... :LOL:

Ha Ha Ha.... very funny :p :LOL:

5. I assume the server is connected to the net. What sort of pipe do you have?

6. 1500/256 .... But its also used for gaming, so thats why i sugested no big files...

7. man just use it to seed legal BTs ,,,, if u have it sitting there might as well help others redistribute stuff

8. Please put up episodes, especially the new episode 212, of Battlestar Galactica.

9. Unless you rate limit it you're probably best off just leaving it. If somebody decides to hammer it mid game you'll get laggy. I have a few servers sitting behind a few different connections too, but none are > 2mbit so there isn't capacity to really do anything fun with.

Don't forget all the security upkeep if you do put it live.

10. Let me give you a copy of BnetD Warcraft Server, for linux, so that we can have a host for our warcraft games :p :LOL: :p

11. I like that idea... now all i have to do is install linux, and get another connection.... 2mb/2mb enough? :LOL: .....

Yeah... its a windows box, all the more for me to keep it off the net... but 'I know what i'm doing" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

12. I thought you said it was a Windows box? :p

You could host you own email off of it, create some handy PHP scripts that follow your fav thread.

13. Lol, you have a server and its not a linux box.

Shame on you :!: :twisted:

I shall instantly send fedora core 4 and champagne shall fall from the heavens and another innocent victim will be saved :LOL:

14. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
    I used to use Redhat, but had no real need for it... so i just chucked this one together for file serving purposes mainly.... And i've set up debian, and I like the look of Ubantu or however its spelt...

15. Photo Gallery
    MP'3 streaming jukebox
    DynDNS
    Get it to auto-retrieve and hold your mail, then run webmail

16. Expect p0rn? or except p0rn? If it's expected why r u askin for ideas lol? Or do you need an idea of what p0rn??? :p :LOL:

17. You could use it to
    * take a backup copy of the internet.
    * do a remote virus scan of the mars lander
    * crunch BOINC workunits
    * start a forum where motorcyclists can connect.
    * install it in a sidecar, with wireless connectivity enabled. Use it for playing mp3s on the move.
    * incorporate it into a gym workout, it would be great for execises like bench press, step ups, shoulder press, you can kneel on it and do dumbell rows.
    * flip the lid, line the inside with foil and it would make a neat baking tray.
    * If you are crafty you could crochet it a lovely winter cover
    * Move to nigeria and start your own 419 scam.
    * find out what it's terminal velocity is
    * flip the lid and use it as an office basketball ring.

18. you could host my gf's website, her host at the mo sux. she doesn't need much, just website and email, no mass downloads/uploads

19. ROFLMFAO... All good uses I must say!