Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by tluong, Dec 6, 2006.

1. hey guys, i'm just wondering how do you know what gears you are in after playing around with them. My instructor at HART told me that its all about feel and what sounds right for the bike. sometimes i'm launching off 2nd gear and i stall haha.

2. When I just started I'd constantly be looking at my tacho and keeping what gear I was in my head. I progressed after a week or so into forgetting what gear I was in, and being able to look at the tacho to be able to tell what gear I was in. (you'll be able to do that after you get to know your bike a bit more). Now I just go by feel mostly, unless I'm just starting the bike in which case I keep it under 6000, or if I'm in a racey mood I'll watch it to get the best point to shift.
  3. When you've stopped, hold the clutch in and tap the gears down until they click down no longer. That means you're in 1st. From there you can go up the gears as you accelerate based on the revs and sound of the bike.

When speeding up, you need to be in a gear that still allows you to accelerate without too much strain. Too low a gear might be at its limit already, having a high pitched sound, so bump it up a gear. If you're in too high a gear it will "labour" which sounds like it's chugging - deep sound and a delay before it can accelerate... knock it down one before trying to accelerate again.

When reducing speed if you're in too high a gear you'll hear it labour again, so go down a gear. There are other finer points to gear changing, but that is the absolute basics. When you get a chance to ride more, you'll be able to practise.
  4. I keep track in my mind - when that fails, I cruise in top gear (6th) and then count down with each change in my mind(5-4-3-2-there we go, and corner).
    Or if things need to happen quickly, I'll just trust my instincts and how the bike sounds.

Failing that, buy a new Suzuki GSXR, and they have a little display on the cluster whos only job is to tell you what gear you're in :grin:
  5. Or an older Suz - they were on many of the GSX's of the seventies/early eighties and were (maybe still are) on GN250s. Failing that, press the gear lever down gently at the lights or when you've stopped, then you can be sure. Other than that, use the gear that feels right for the conditions and speed you're riding.
  6. I don't know what gears I am in .. :rofl: except for 1st and last gear.
  7. :rofl:
  8. As Ktulu says. Learn to count them..up and down. Or when you are about to stop do a "double tap" on the lever, before putting your foot down, just to make sure you are in 1st.
  9. All you need to do before taking off is to make sure you tap down on gears
    till you cant go any further.

Also; if you are gearing down each time you come to a stop, you would
    not have such issues. Gearing down & blipping is a good habit to have.

Once you're off & running, there should be no need whatsoever to count
    gears; & as the instructors said, its all about engine sound & RPMS. There
    are more important things to concentrate on than what gear you're in.

(Once you know your bike <time & experience> you will know just by
    sound/speed/RPM what gear you are in).
  10. yeah, i'm a fan of kicking it down a heap while stopped and track it from there... but your speed and revs should be a guide enough... it doesn't matter what number gear your in... just your speed and potential to pull yourself out of a corner (accelerate)
  11. Its simple. Before you stop at the lights and the rear wheel is still rotating because the gears on a motor bike work sequentially, just keep clicking all the way down till it doesnt clunk or if you have 1 down 4-5 up style box the last full clunk clicking down after the neutral light has flashed will be 1st. But the rear wheel must be still rotating to achieve this otherwise its a guess your in 1st especially on an older bike with alot of kms.
  12. 2 true mate i know i'm in 6th when i go for another gear and she wont click anymore so i just keep winding my baby out
  13. good thread coz i had the same problem for a while.
    i then looked at the revs when going 60 but when going faster, i always get confused so i click it up to 6th. if i dont look at the revs, i listen to the engine. after time you will just know what gear you are in.
  14. thanks for the reply guys. i have been using 6th gear doing 60km/h haha.

i have another question regarding gears. i notice that when im changing gears (up) i think i dont release the clutch properly and it makes a jerk sound. can someone please teach me the art of changing gears. should the clutch be released immediately or slowly for changing gears. this will help prolong the life of my clutch + gearbox. cheers.
  15. G'day tluong

I too never know what gear I'm in, except for first and top (and on the Spada, I go looking for one past top!) I don't think it's that important to know specifically what gear you're in, except for take-offs, and the guys above have you covered on that.

The only thing I'd add is you don't have to be in top when cruising - keep it where it has some revs and can accelerate away if necessary, so if that's a lower gear at 60 (and it likely will be), so be it.

In terms of changing gear and letting the clutch out, what you're trying to do is match the revs of the engine itself with the revs it 'should' be at for that speed and that gear. Does that make sense? You want to have the engine revving at pretty close to what it will be revving at once the clutch is fully out.

Part of that is letting the clutch out more slowly if you're not sure, letting it have a little time to match up. As you get more advanced you'll also learn to 'blip' the throttle to match up the engine revs with the road speed when you're changing down/engine braking.

Changing up can be done fairly quickly, but give yourself a little time to get used to it. Not changing too early, so that the bike doesn't 'lug', and learning to back off the throttle for the change and get back onto it to match the revs as you release the clutch are the keys, but again, that takes a little while to develop, and requires some 'feel'.
  16. thanks for that bravus. cleared that jerking issue.
  17. Since it doesn't appear to have been mentioned...buy yourself a gear indicator. :wink:

Something like the DiGi Gear Indicator.
  18. Whaa no one has jumped in and made a wisecrack where are you all people? :)
  19. The engine speed must be matched to the next cog when the clutch is released. You might observe another rider, when declerating for a red light, blip the throttle at each downchange?

What he's doing is raising the engine speed to better match the next lower cog.

Conversely, when accelerating the throttle should be closed momentarily at the point of each up-change.

Exactly the same proceedure is used in manual cars and trucks. Indeed in a vehicle witout scncromeshing gears it is usual to release the clutch BETWEEN gears and to blip the throttle (increasing engine speed) during a down-change. I had a Honda TN360 (35 years ago) that required this treatment.