Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gears not changing at all...... please help

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by driekus, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Hi All
    I have a really bad problem with my new VTR250 (300km)
    Im having an intermittent (more often than not) changing up gears particularly 3rd 4th and 5th. It all started after a 10km run on freeway. Any ideas what has happened, I cant fry a gearbox in 300km surely. Please help put mind at ease.
    Peter

2. When you say changeing up does it stay in the same gear you were in or hit a false neutral?

3. It stays in same gear previously in, not a false neutral

4. Warranty, Shop, Adjust, Fix.

Simple really :)

5. best course of action as vic said .
    To early to be a oil problem , unless the oil hasnt been filled up correctly ?
    have you checked that ?
    also is the gear shift lever adjusted tight and hasnt moved ?
    if not any of the two follow vics advise , follow it anyway if you have any doubts

thats why you should have bought an across and not a honda :wink: :LOL:

6. He wanted something with more than 1 gear and a top speed more than 30km/h :LOL:

7. thats why he didnt by a mazda :wink: :LOL:

8. Thats why he should have bought a Kawi..........when will people learn.

9. Hhhhmmmm, Mazda in the driveway, Honda in the garage. Sounds pretty good to me. Better than owning one of those poxy Kwakacrappies!! :LOL:

Stew...

10. Thats why they r green Stew , when u throw up on them no1 notices.

11. I totally agree there Midnight but why ohh why would you be close enough to one to throw up on it???? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Stew

12. I'm puzzled as to why Midnight's spew is Kawasaki green, if symptoms persist consult a doctor :LOL: Or perhaps it's green with envy

13. Yep GREEN WITH ENVY. Hahahaha

14. Yep and notice its the Hoonda lunchbox that wont change gears - typical Hoonda engineering. All show no go Hahahahaha

15. Bwaahaaa typical......delusions of grandeur from another misguided Kwaka lover :LOL:
    :cry: The poor buggers :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

16. EXCUSE ME???

17. make sure a bolt hasn't come loose and sticking out
    stopping the lever moving upwards.
    does it downshift ok?have a look around the shifter
    area and see if anything is binding etc.

18. Thanks to all those that posted, it seemed to not occurr the next day I took it down to honda and they looked at rear chain tension or something. They also told me that the gearbox is bulletproof and Im probably going too soft on it. My instructor constantly told me that I rode like a nanny so that may explain things. Since then (im up to 500km now) Ive really started to give a lot less nurturing and very very firm gear changes and strong acceleration and have had no problems.
    Cheers
    Peter