Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gears and clutches

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by sLowBrian, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Hi all,

haven't been around here much of late for various reasons, but today when I was out on the 1300, I discovered that I could change down through the gears without pulling the clutch in. Have done it before in cars, and know enough to get the revs right etc, so there's no "crunching" going on, but my question is this;

Even with no "crunching" going on, is this likely to cause any damage to the gearbox? Seemed smooth enough, but if it's likely to hurt it, I don't wanna risk it......

2. Brian mate,

Since I've been banned from talking gearboxes and clutches (thanks sunshine boy) can I respectfully request that you use the search function.

"clutchless changes" oughta do it.

(Didn't someone around here swear the universe would collapse if a heavy cruiser gearbox was clutchlessly changed....??? :LOL: ...ok ok, I'm going now... [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

4. Cheers Rob, I did a search and while I must admit to not reading the whole thing through, got a bit of an idea of what the answer might be..... :-w

And made me realize how lucky I am to be a Fridgie!!!!! LOL...... :grin:

Guess I'll just practice it a bit more to make sure I get it right.....

Many thanks

5. Hi Brian,

You can change down thru the gears with no clutch (just about any bike will do that), but I wouldn't do it regularly. Particularly with the X and the cable clutch.
    also, watch out for the 'false neutral' when going up from 4 to 5. Have you experienced that one yet ? quite a shock when it first happens.....

6. Yep..... found THAT one out! :eek:hno:

But I did get used to it, and now it rarely, if ever, happens.

Thanks mate