Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gearing, supersport vs superbike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by OzStriker, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Hi guys,
    Just wondering if you can generalise the gearing between the 600 and 1000 sportsbikes.

I get the impression the litre bikes are geared very high, with 1st gear often topping out around 160kph and a common mod to make the bikes more street-friendly is to add/remove cogs at each end of the drivetrain.

Are the 600s generally the same? i.e. a little too highly geared for ideal street use?
  2. Depends on the bike. Modern 600's will top out at around 110-120kph at redline in first.

Here's a handy reference site for you: http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Most bikes from the manufacturer are geared to reach their top speed at peak power on a ~3km long straight run. Some manufacturers are a little bit different (eg. Triumph) and gear their bikes a fraction lower so that you'll hit the top speed in about 1km instead, which does make them better for general street use.

It all depends on the focus. Most Jap bike makers know that their buyers are straight-line kings, and go for the top-speed crown with their bikes, even though it actually makes the bikes less streetable.
  3. Often they are geared that way because they will already power-wheelie in first gear. Reducing the gearing will only make the throttle more twitchy and more likely to lift the front, which is bad mid corner, or someone that doesn know how to wheelie.
  4. Thank you for that!!!
  5. -1 tooth down on the front made my 01mdl r6 way more fun :D better accel, wheelies nice if you want it too and great in the twisties, if not better than stock.