Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

gearing Questions

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Glennb, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Im looking at putting a larger tyre on My bike was wondering how much this is going to effect my final tire/gear ratio.
    stock is 15/45=.31111 fg ratio on a 130/80 tire(not sure if tire makes a differance)
    Question is what will my final gear ratio be with a 130/90 on the bike.
    OR
    Is there a formular that I can work with so I can work out how much I have to gear down to get the tire/gear ratio back to stock specs.

Also a general Question on gearing : does more teeth on the back sprocket and/or lesser teeth on the front sprocket increase your 0-100 and 1/4 mile times. But you loose top end speed. Is that right??
    Cheers
    Glenn

2. more on the back does the same as less on the front .... faster acceleration ... less top speed .... its ROUGHLY 4-1 ratio .. that is 4 teeth on the rear = one les on the front .... iam sure theres an exact formula but i dont know it .... as for aspect ratios of tyres .. i doubt you would notice the difference ... remembering theres about 5 mm of tread depth between a new tyre and a worn tyre and you dont notice that ...... hope that was of some help

3. When I changed my 250 to a 350 I changed the gearing from 15/40 to 16/36, if that helps. I had to do that because it had vicious acceleration but was revving like crazy in top at highway speeds.....