Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gearing on a SV650s

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Jez79, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Hi All, been looking for a bike and narrowed down to SV650s and FZ6N. I love the way the SV feels but am concerned about wanting more power so I'm wondering if a change of front sprocket will give me the acceleration that I crave? The FZ6N Revs well but I find it too upright and can't find a way to fit clip ons.

Any advice appreciated.

2. the SV should give a lot more kick out of the corners but if you want more acceleration, drop a tooth on the front sprocket. this will raise your RMP in top but not a problem with speedlimets and heavy policeing. it'll only drop your top speed by 5-10KPH.
  3. Jez, I have a SV650 that is being raced. I have an Excel spreadsheet with the gears and ratios worked out for the upper rev range. The measurement of my tyre may or may not be the same for your bike, but you can see the effect it has on the overall top speed.