Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gearbox problem

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Vitaly, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Hi Guys ,

I have 1990 FZR250 with 39k on the clock , but i have slight problem with gear box . Chain was tighten up a week ago & clutch cable was replaced . But when i chage gears it's has abit of slack .

Can some one tell me if this is serious & need emmidiate action ? Or it nothing to worry about .

Thanks in advance .

2. What has a bit of slack?????

Chain should have about 25mm of slack with no weight on the bike.

Clutch should be adjusted so it fully engages before clutch lever is all the way out and dosent drag (too much) when clutch lever is all the way in.

3. Sorry ,

I should have been more clear about the problem , when you change geard it does not feel tight , it's has abit of slack in it .

4. Still not very clear mate....

5. Check your external linkages first. It may be that a lock nut is loose or similar.

Is the chain slack set correctly? This can often upset gear changes.

6. Thanks Ibast ,

I assume chain is set correctly i took to the bike shop .
    (i hope those mechanics know what they are doing )!!

But is it a big problem ? Will my bike fall apart any time soon ?

7. I don't know what the problem is yet, so I can't tell you when your bike is going to fall apart.

check your chain slack. Without specific model knowledge I'd say it should be between 20-30mm. any more or less may cause problems.