Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gearbox/clutch issue

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by I am the Stig..., Aug 11, 2007.

1. Went out for a ride today in the hills and whilst riding towards birdswood, my little NSR began to rev erratically, jumping 2-3,000 revs at a time, almost like I was dropping a gear. And no, I wasn't dropping a gear, nor was I operating throttle or clutch...

Rode on another 10 km's when it happened again, this time the bike started sounded a bit "scratchy" - like it was dragging something. I pulled up and just couldn't get the bike into 1st or even 2nd... the gear lever was rock solid too. :eek:

Now I've only had the bike 2 weeks, and paniced a bit to be honest - I didn't have a clue what was wrong or what to do. After phoning the dealership for advice, I jumped back on the NSR and and gunned the revs to get me going again in the hope that the gearbox might start wanting to go back into 1st or 2nd. Anyway, managed to ride the 60km or so back into the CBD without stalling at the lights (got 2nd back eventually thankfully), but in riding back, occasionally a gear seemed to jump out - revs jumping 3-4,000 revs now - down not up, causing a few sudden tail slides :shock: !! Had more than a few "interesting" slides down gorge road with nice drops/solid walls of rock off the side of the road!! Not too peeved by that, I suvived, didn't have to test the leathers and learnt a few emergency stops etc. but it's not how I'd like my bike to handle everyday :cry: .

Luckily for me, the bikes still under warranty - so any repairs should be on the garage. Downside is that I'm now without "Violet Elizabeth" (she really did "scweam an' scweam until she made herselth sick" :LOL: ) until the end of the week. I hope she'll be alright with those strange men at the garage... :p

Query (after the long story) is thus: what's the diagnosis - gearbox or clutch? What would have caused such an item to fail on a straight road? Is it likely to be knackered after riding 70-80kms on it? How can I avoid hurting the mistress next time - I was riding the NSR in the 7,000-9,000rpm range mainly to stay in the powerband (which is what the bike was designed for?). Have I been "spanking her" too hard :shock:?

Answers or opinions much appreciated - will be intrigued to see what the garage's take on it is compared to those who've experienced the above!

Oh - and for you 2-stroke fans, the pistons/engine is doing really well!! :LOL:

2. I had something similar happen on my first bike, an air cooled RD350. I had run out of oil n the gearbox.
    I had no trouble with the revs but the noise that came out of the gearbox was unbelievable. I ended up splitting the engine and replacing everything after the flywheel.
    Luckily it didn’t cost me anything either as I had a spare motor.