Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gear shifting / clutch annoyance!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by lemontree, Oct 22, 2013.

1. #1 lemontree, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    Hi folks,

I have an 86' Honda GB500 that uses an air cooled, dry sump.

I have noticed that on long rides or when the motor is running hot.
    My clutch gets grabby when the motors gets running really hot, so I start shifting more slowly and deliberately after noticing the clutch acting up i.e finding hard to Neutral from 1st.

strangely, when I fire up the bike after a cold morning, gear shifts is very smooth as the oil hasn't been broken into yet. Currently using 10w40 but keen to try 15w. So I am contemplating if thicker oil will help fix it.

On the highway it's hard to notice, but in city driving it's obvious when the clutch starts doing that.

For those who have a single cylinder thumpers running on an air cooled dry sump, is this just a characteristic to live with?

2. Nice bike!

But I can't help with the clutch problem, sorry. (Except to say double check the spec of oil you are using is correct for the bike - as you've noted, air cooled motors run hotter.)