Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gear Lever reach

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Renee_AW, Sep 8, 2008.

1. I am new to riding & have a Kawasaki GPX250 Ninja (2006). I find it good to ride but I have size 5 shoes & when I have my foot under the gear lever it only just reaches meaning I have to move my whole leg a long way forward to change the gears up.

I don't yet have motorcycle boots & am wondering if these will make a difference (i.e. I will be able to change gears with the toe part of the boot) or whether I should see if I can buy a shorter gear lever & fit this.

2. Boots may help you. Most boots have shift pads, or harder material on the toes, helps to keep wear down on your boots.

Otherwise you might need to find out if you can get longer shifters for your bike so you don't need to move your foot as far.

BTW, Welcome to Netrider :wink: :)
  3. Thank you & for the welcome too.

I love my new bike - something I have always wanted to do but never done until now. I am almost totally consumed by it & curse the days it rains because it is another day I can't practice (not experienced enough for wet roads yet).
  4. Hey Renee,

Boots might indeed help. I was at MCAS in Auburn (the new store) on Sat and noticed there were a few ladies boots (can’t remember the brands) that had semi-pointy ends to them. Might help with the reach! :)

Good luck!

5. Wet roads are not that scary. All you need to remember is to be smooth in braking and accelerating, don't lean the bike too much in corners and increase your crash avoidance space.
  6. If the boots you are riding in now are the ones and type you're going to use most of the time, go to an engineer and get him to take a small section of metal out of the pedal and weld it back up again. I did this on quite a few bikes, and never had the pedal break, before the doom-sayers weigh into the argument.
  7. Just jump straight into it, the 2nd day I had my bike & license I was riding when it was pouring rain. You just got to be careful feathering the brake and taking corners slower, but it's nowhere near as scary as everyone kept on telling me. Just make sure you keep your distance from dangers so you don't hit the brakes too hard, accelerate smoothly and take corners alot slower than you regularly would and you'll be alright.