Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gear indicator

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Spreads, Aug 17, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a Digital Gear Position Indicator. I believe there's an Australian made one on the market but can't find the website. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    Or . . a recommendation. Which is the best available?

2. A mate of mine rigged a stack of low light LEDs in his helmet that light up as he shifts. Pretty sure rigged it himself and I think there is basically no circuitry.

It was for a Honda but I'll ask him how he did it.
  3. Having trouble counting to six?
  4. Gah! Heard back from my mate. It does have circuitry, rather a lot of it in fact. He's just hidden it really well. :(
  5. as an alternative take a look at http://www.oroadsports.com/viewtopic.php?t=5863 - locally made and produced and by all reports seem to do the trick. the only reason i haven't gotten one yet is because i need to get around to buying the bikini faring for the front of the VTR (recommended though not essential i'm told).
  6. I appreciate the need for this, and it's not just that I can't count to six...

The vfr is so flexible an engine that I have caught myself quite a few times riding along the highway in 5th, thinking I'm in 6th.

A digital gear indicator like the old Suzukis used to have would be a great idea. Thanks for reminding me...
  7. If you really feel the need for it - why not go the heads up display option... Box in the boot, wireless connection to the helmet..

Over the top I know.. but hey its an option :LOL:

8. Well I guess a HUD would be over the top, wouldn't it???
  9. I've been thinking at getting one too (please note this is for a gear position indicator, as opposed to a gear shift indicator. Some people in this thread are speaking about different things - gear position is a little thing that says "1", "2" etc. A shift indicator is like a tacho and is to do with revs), however for a whopping ~$200 I'd rather shift all the way to the top, then tap back down to be sure I'm in the gear I think I'm in.
  10. 200 buckazoids????

Sheesh, maybe I CAN live without one.
  11. Sorry - slight exaggeration. Is priced at $145 on that bike gizmo's site.
  12. Must admit, that because my rear sprocket is too big, I often go for "6th" when I'm on the freeway.

But at any more then a few dollars, it's a bit of a gadjet. Heaps of other things to spend that sort of money on.
  13. Hmm my wife is complaining that she cant find/remember in which gear she is in... So I have been riding pilion (yes while she is LEARNING to ride) and shouting to her instructions!! "DOW you are in THIRD!"

Slight disclamour: My wife has full licence and has been riding bikes for the past 5 years... they all were CT110 and their gears are set up N-1-2-3-4