Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gear changing

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by sih81, Jun 24, 2008.

1. HELP! I am a learner driver and have just bought a new Honda CBR125R. I've only done 300km on it and am finding it increasingly difficult to change down the gears (eg to slow down/stop) Tonight I couldnt change down to any gear and was stuck in the middle of the road attempting to do a right turn in 5th (very dangerous as I was unable to move!). In the end I had to hold the clutch in and push the bike across the road - it then took me a good 5 minutes to get the bike into a gear. I tried letting the clutch out a bit and I got a buzzing noise like something was not connecting. I have phoned the dealer who has told me they will look at it when it goes in for the 1000 km service (it's looking like it will be going back a lot sooner). I wanted to ask this question to anyone who reads the forum to see if it is something I am doing. I am trying to save myself a trip to the dealers which takes me along a few roads I would rather not drive along (eg Pennant Hills Road and James Ruse Drive!) Any assistance would really be appreciated.

2. you may have had foot resting on the gear lever while riding... i too had some trouble while i was learning and the bike wouldnt go down gears
  3. Would that mean you would have to click the gear peddle back up 5/6 clicks to get it back to where its meant to be, then change back down again?
  4. Nope, gear levers are a single action - to change down gears, you need to physically move the lever down and back to rest position for each gear shift. The bike won't change down multiple gears if you are just resting your foot on the lever, it will only change down once.

For the OP - when are you trying to change down gear? Are you trying to change from 5th down to 1st after stopping at the lights? If so, bad idea! It's almost impossible to do. You should be changing down as you slow down, so that you're into 1st gear as you're about to stop basically.

If you're doing this already, then it does sound like there's an issue with the box...
  5. Hey sih81,

I will ring you later (or you can just drop in) and you can bring it over so we can see if there is anything wrong - have a coffee and chat with Merrill too
  6. ????

My bike doesn't do that and we ride the same model. :shock:

Are you pulling the clutch fully in when you're attempting to change gears? Also, you're saying that you're "INCREASINGLY" finding it difficult to change down - is it getting sticky, is it physically not budging?

How very strange. Maybe you got a lemon and have to get it checked out :shock:
  7. That doesn't sound good at all. Forgive the repetitiveness, but you roll off throttle and pull in clutch and then shift down?

One thing I am guilty of is not letting the revs fall low enough and lock up the rear on the downshift. I'm getting better though :wink:
  8. I think you mean "Letting the revs fall too far"; ie: not blipping the throttle sufficiently on downshift. :)
  9. sounds like the bike stalled in 5th gear, My bike had a similar problem too, when I would come to a stop I just used to use the brake and not change down, the gears got stuck and it was hard to find 1st when the light went green,

solution always change down to 1st when comming to a stop
  10. That could be a factor as well. Still, it's been a fun journey so far
  11. im still having trouble changing from 1st to second, and ive got a full licence, its embarassing :oops:
    Dont know why, if im revving it realy high in 1st when its time to change up it goes into nutral about 20% of the time, i then rev and notice the green light is on.

I once was rolling down a hill in nutral and couldnt get it back into a gear, it just crunched even with the clutch all the way in.
  12. +1 I do that sometimes too! Scary stuff. But I guess that's why we're Learners and constantly practicing to get ourselves sorted out :)

13. It could just be something like the clutch cable needing adjusting. It may not be fully disengaging, thereby making it hard to change gears. Perhaps an experienced rider good try it and see if this is the case as they could see if clutchless gearchanging still works well.

But sounds like it might be a gearbox problem :?
  14. Offtopic from the original post, but...

The rear wheel "locking up" during downshifts is from when the engine revs drop too low. It's usually called a 'compression lockup'.

What happens is that when the clutch is released, the engine has to change its speed to match the "road speed" of the bike, since the bike has too much inertia for the bike to slow down to match engine speed.

If the force needed to instantaneously accelerate the engine to match road speed is stronger than the amount of grip the rear tyre has on the road, the rear wheel will instantaneously decelerate to match the engine speed.... causing a skid.

The skid usually only lasts for a moment, as the engine is dragged up to road speed by the skidding wheel. If done while turning, though, the bike could lowside and crash. Or maybe even highside.

Solution: 'blipping' the throttle during a downshift, to help the engine match road speed. (Lots of threads on 'blipping' here on NR... easy to find with search)
  15. Spots is there a particular thread that's helpful? Just did a quick search and there's a lot of info to take in , but I would like to know WHAT and HOW to blip... just the basics.

16. In terms of what and how (as opposed to theory and arguments back and forth as is the case with this subject :LOL: ), if you think about riding along at lets say 60ks in 3rd gear, then think about when you change down to 2nd gear while staying at the same speed. What happens?

The revs will be higher in 2nd gear than they were in 3rd even though you were travelling at the same speed.

If you don't blip the throttle, the engines revs are too low for the new gear and the engine has to get itself up to speed as you release the clutch.

Blipping the throttle means as you pull the clutch in to change down, you build up the engine revs (by briefly twisting the throttle open ie "blipping")to what they will need to be when you release the clutch in the lower gear. So the engine is already doing the revs it'll need to do when you release the clutch in second.

It makes gear changes smoother, reduces things that can go wrong (like compression lockup mentioned above) etc etc. And you feel like Valentino Rossi :LOL:
  17. Thanks DeeCubed.
  18. Ok, my advice may be void as I dont really ride yet. Something I found when I was doing my license is you hold the gear pedal up until you have let the clutch out. This stopped me from the jerkyness of changing from 1st to 2nd
  19. Take it straight back to the dealer and get them to look at it NOW. I got a brand new CBR125 and it kept slipping out of gear as I was riding!!! :shock: I thought it was something I was doing but it was the bike after all. All fixed without a drama and hasnt done it since.