Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by ddmoore, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Hey,

This is just my little "intro" thread :grin:
    names daniel, im 19 and amd a sub contract web design / developer.
    i've finished my diploma of web development about 2 weeks ago now.

also within the same week i went and got my L's for my road bike license.

So far i've had no lessons. I do however have a lesson booked for this coming friday. and i was wondering if someon of you guys here could give me any key pointers for my first "proper" lesson.

I've been an avid motorist for a long time, and have always been intrigued and loved the motorbike. yet never had the balls to go get my license.
    After knowing 2 people who have died on bikes (1 dirt, one road) its always been in the back of my mind how dangerous they really can be.

But yeh. im new here, dont give me too much crap :p

and any help would be awsome :)

-- Dan
  2. Hi Dan welcome to the forum, you got your Ls but havent had any lessons? What state are you in? Dont forget to fill out your profile .
  3. G'day mate and welcome. Lots of helpful people here that I'm sure will answer your question. Me I can't answer it, didn't do any lessons Good luck
  4. Welcome!

I must say I'm curious as to what you mean by "lessons". Everything I learned about riding, I learned on the Pre-Learner and Provisional Courses and by getting on the road and riding.

All I can say is grab someone who's an experienced rider and get out there. It'll take a while for the fear factor to wear off, but after that, you'll get off thinking "Yeeha!!".
  5. Road Rule No.1

*Don't let anyone 'catch' you doing anything illegal!!! :LOL:
  6. To be able to get L's or P's without doing any courses, he must live outside
    what the RTA call 'declared area'
  7. Whatever, Dan, welcome to the friendly forum....
  8. Im loacted in Perth, WA.

not sure about elsewhere but over here some people actually offer their services and take learners out for practice sessions and to help them "learn" as such and get better.

so this friday i am going out wih a guy (he provdes bike, helmet etc.) and will start to teach me a whole lot of stuff about bikes i didnt know (hopefully)

Its not a requirement to go have lessons. although after only ever riding a quad, i can see it being extremely beneficial to me to have a couple.

I've had my car license for almost over two years. this coming feburary it will be two years and my provisionals will be finished.

Once i finish my provisionals i dont have to have my 'P's on again motorbike or car.
  9. Welcome Dan

And for teh benefif of those who weren't aware that there are parts of Australia outside Melbourne and Sydney....

In Perth you do a very basic multiple choice test on road rules to get your L's then you go have lessons with an instructor, and you arent allowed to ride on your own.

Then you sit a riding test. If you pass, you get your P's for one year, and your restricted to 250cc. Then you sit your open license test and then your set for life.
  10. Just get stuck in mate. Never really had lessons but it all helps. That said I have booked myself in for an intermediate course at Honda in August.

Main tips are get good quality protective clothing. Don't open her up near intersections or populated areas (wait for a nice straight). Watch your blindspots when making turns and stuff. And always always always head check when moving off and lane changing.
  11. Dan,

where in PErth are you?
    and who are you getting your lessons with?
  12. Im located in Wembley so right next to subiaco.

looks like my lesson is moved to tomorrow at 9am.
    and its with Johns Advanced Motorcycle training.

thanks for those rico, much appreciated. :)
  13. Your test or your first lesson?
    I assume its your lesson going by your original post.

Your instructor will tell you everything you need to know. But especially take note of checking your blind spots (ie the head check) and also get used to having a quick glance down EVERY side street you approach because in the test they like you to be doing this.

Another thing the testers like is for you to stay out of the oil slick in the middle of the lane.

On a one lane road you ride to the left of the oil.
    On a 2 lane road when your in the left lane you ride to the right of the oil, but when your in the right lane, stick to the left of the oil. ***

*** i'm not trying to start a debate on the best lane position, i'm just pointing out what the testers in Perth want you to do.
  14. Yeh sorry duff thats my error, i'll fix that up now >.<

Cheers for the pointers i really appreciate them.

in terms of one lane and two lane, you talking in terms of one lane or two lane going in the same dirrection

edit: spelling.. im trying to eat lunch and type one handed my bad :p
  15. yep thats it.

When theres one lane in each direction stick to the left of the oil. Their reasoning being that your just that little bit further away from the oncoming traffic.

When theres two lanes in each direction, if your in the left lane they want you to the right of the oil so that cars dont try and merge into your lane or pass too close to you ie it forces cars to move fuly into the next lane to overtake you. Then if you in the right lane of a two lane road your to the left of the oil for basically the same reason.

They also like you to be a good boy and stick to the left lane unless you really need to be in the right lane.

The best thing is that if your doing youe lessons nearby where you'll eventually do your test, then the instructor will know the routes the testers like to take so he will show you some of them. Like i did my test at the Freo licensing centre and the route i had to do was the exact one my instructor had shown me that very morning, so it was a sinch and i did the whole route in about 30mins without even having to stop for instructions.

Oh and make sure you get lots of practice doing emergency stops. You have to be able to come to a controlled stop (ie no skidding) within 10metres from between 50-60 km/hr. Its easy with lots of practice.
  16. If you're sitting in the left-hand lane then you want to sit in the right-hand wheel track of that lane. If you're in the right-hand lane, sit in the left-hand wheel track.

It discourages cars from trying to overtake you in your lane.
  17. Hey guys,

Thanks alot. i really appreciate it.
    so far after browsing the forum this seems like a great and really helpful place to be.

you can be sure to see me round more often ;)
  18. Have fun at the lesson... I'm doing the same thing, I've been practicing a bit on back streets and carparks, but I've booked my first professional lesson for Monday so that the instructor can pick up on anything I'm doing wrong that I might not even be aware of. It's the same here in QLD, there is no practical experience before you get your learners.

I'm really excited about my lesson, I expect to learn a lot - and in particular, also learn what I should be working on on my own.
    (plus it's on a go-kart track so it promises to be a bit of safe fun too :) )
  19. Yeh,

After my last post i went down to the local bike shop and had a really in-depth chat with the owner about gear and the likes.

he helped me out a lot in terms of information regarding appropriate helmets, jackets.

he suggested getting to lots of jackets and gloves, one specific for winter and one for summer. mainly due to the fact that win the winter jacket you will get a lot hotter etc.

not sure what everyone elses thoughts of this are.
    (obviously i wouldnt buy both of them off the bat, i would wait until it starts getting warmer in the days and then purchase a new jacket or something).

also he suggested for summer using motorcross gloves? mainly because they let your hands breath alot more, still have some of the rpotection on the knuckles etc, but also work just aswell as lets say winter gloves.

but yeh, i see your riding on a fzx 250 nikku? hows that for you?

thats another thing i need to start doing is, taking a look at begginner bikes and find one that suits me well and i like to sit on comfortably.

im not looking to spend over 4500 on a first bike, because i know i will most likely drop iot or scratch it, i just want somehting reliable and will help me learn and expand on my skills on.

after say 6-8 months i might upgrade to a better quality 250, etc.
  20. Here are my thoughts mate.

For gloves and helmet whatever fits best. For the helmet, dont just try it on and go 'yep'. Wear it for at least 10 minutes in the shop. You will look like a d*ck but you need to do it. Feel for pressure points or anything that may annoy you. Bear in mind, it will mould to your face over time. Most people buy their first helmet a size too big by mistake.

For the jacket, I believe a DryRider all the way. They do for summer, winter and the odd bit of rain. They have full body armour also. And they should cost $250-300. Maybe later you will want leather or whatever but I think they are perfect for starting out.

As far as a bike. I love the VTR250 but you will struggle on your budget. For me, next best is the Honda Spada or the Yamaha Zeal. But Zeals are hard to find. But everyone is different. Get out there and sit on as many as you can and get a feel for what you like. In the end, its all about YOUR comfort and thats that mate!!