Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

G'day Guys!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Menotyou, Mar 7, 2011.

1. G'day Guys

First post so thought I’d get the formalities out of the way. I've been riding for 25 odd years in the scrub, paddocks and probably a reserve near you. I've always had Honda's and the odd Suzuki, but love the XR range of trail bikes.

I love the smaller weapons and have an XR250 MY04, the last of the classic shape which i purchased new. Many dismiss the venerable XR250 as the newer CRF/YZF's and other high strung motocrossers with rego plates gather all the attention. But i tell you, they can never go as far, climb as easily, or be anywhere near as comfortable and stress free as on trail bikes. 10 hours of riding and I’m just starting to look for a petrol station whilst they’re on their 3rd tank of fuel and are starting to look for oil and/or top end rebuild kits and an icepack for their a***. I don't like going riding with these people because you’re severely restricted with range and I like to explore instead of rapping around in circles all day, never venturing far from fuel. I'm sure they have their purpose though. Valve adjustments are just a plain joke with Honda CRF’s and they really should be ashamed of themselves. Back in 2005 the maintenance schedule was terrifying! I'm sure it would still be similar.

Anyway, I’m new to the road biking scene and just purchased myself a near new CB400 MY09 in classic HRC Red/White/Blue colour scheme with only 1500K on the clock. I bought it from a middle aged guy (47) with too many toys and a wife wanting a holiday. Still has 12 months warranty on it and in fantastic condition! Since put 2206k on the clock in 10 days! Wow, that went fast… And it’s a weekend bike! Honest!

My girlfriend too is into bikes, albeit only recently. She rode a scooter on a holiday in New Zealand and was hooked and wanted a bike. She got her L's in late December and bought a VTR250 MY07 in black with 6k on the clock about 3 weeks ago. Loves her bike to bits!

Anyway, that's about it for introductions. Have a good one everybody! I'll go about updating my profile and familiarising myself with the forum.

2. G'day mate and welcome to Netrider :)

3. welcome person who is not me... i'm glad your name reminds me of that, otherwise i'd be immensely confused!

good for you to bring some new knowledge of the most beautiful machines ever created onto our forums :)

4. Welcome mate, interesting outlook there.

I havent really riden on trail bikes but have had a go at some back in Philippines, that range of bike is extreemly popular especially <=250. Reliable, cheap to maintain and fix, good milage and doesnt break easy.

One of these days ill eventually get a trailbike, great to have some knowlegable forumers :).

Enjoy your stay dude.

5. Welcome to NR. Good choice of bike, the CB 400 is a great bike.

I'm keen to give trail riding a go as well. Been thinking about it for a while now. If I didn't need to take a trailer with bikes on it to start riding anywhere, I think I'd would've already done it. (yes, I could get a road/trial and just ride it there, but would want to take my kids along, so, trailer it is).

6. G'day Everyone!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I look forward to contributing to the forum and hopefully meeting some of you out on the road and trails.

G'day lowercase, i am Me, Not You. Therefore you could just shorten to, Me.
    'I am me, not you, so why do you feel that you can tell me what to do?' It's a political thing based around personal choices, not choices made for you by the state. Nevermind, long story and not the forum for it...

G'day Minglis, i have a couple of friends whom have raised kids that are old enough to ride and they have a blast. Do get registration on your bike if you plan on hitting the trails though. Obviously the kids won't/can't have rego but it helps if you at least have rego. The police frown on unregistered bikes in state recreation areas and can confiscate them. I remember years ago (about 10) the police were ruthless out at Menai and Wollongong with every bike not sporting a registration plate thrown on the back of a flat-bed, tied down and taken away to an impound yard.

Oh and one bit of advice. Don't go down the track of cheap bikes for the kids. It may cost more for decent bikes, but the investment is worthwhile. The kids become proud of their bikes and look after them. And if you get second hand you won't lose much in resale value if/when the kids outgrow the bike. Whereas nobody wants a second hand Zongshen...

So you too have a CB400? I'm pretty pleased with it thus far. Still getting acquainted with the bike and slowly feeling out the limits.

Thanks to all again. Safe riding!

7. You come across as intelligent, thoughtful and perceptive. We can always use more such folk.

A warm welcome, Menotyou :)

8. Welcome Menotyou,

Great to hear someone singing the praises of the mighty XR250 ... I learnt to ride on an XR. Simple, user friendly, cope with anything.

KN

9. Thank you for the kind praises Alexanderino! My ego can always use some flattery!

KN, you too must remember the glory days of Scott Summers? Before the 13000rpm Yamaha screamers. Back when life was simpler. You had a motocross bike for motocross and trail bikes for trails. Oh, how times have changed.

Who needs radiators in the bush? They always break at the most inopportune time.

I love my little mountain goat! His name is Billy.