Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gday from Tassie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Dzyan, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Hi all

I'm a early 30's shunter just moved to Tassie, work moved on me so I had to pounce and get a cheap mode of transport. So now I'm riding around on a postie bike on my L's, and I'm looking for a slightly larger bike to get around september.

The postie can't handle the constant max revs to work, I'm about to change the big ends in her. Right now I have the option of taking a different route which is only 60 all the way so its not a problem, but come september I'll be moving house and the two different routes are 80 or 100 all the way, so the big ends will not last (and its a perfect excuse to get something bigger)

So I've been looking at the Royal Enfield Classic Battle Green, but I hear mixed reports. People who have them love them and the people who don't have them say they are riddled with problems. Its causing me some confusion, I just want to buy a reliable bike with classic styling that is LAMS approved for no more than 8-9k

If I did buy a bike for that much, it pretty much needs to last 10-15 years, until I pay off a mortgage and can then get my dream bike (Bonneville)

Anyone have any suggestions? Something I was considering was a 70's Bonneville, as that meets LAMS, any other suggestions?
  2. 8-9k Lams and classic.... CB400.

edit: and last 10-15 years.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. thanks mate, what about an 80's SR500? I can buy a pretty shmick looking unit for about 8k, and it looks all rebuilt. How do mid 80's bikes handle the twisty poorly maintained roads? Am I better off getting something from the early 2000's and retro fitting a body kit to look the part?

If I get a cheaper but reliable bike now I might have a chance at getting a trumpy in a couple of years once I'm no longer bound by LAMS
  4. Welcome and good luck finding a suitable ride. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks, I must admit I'm looking really hard at the early 70's triumph's.

If I can get one of those in good nick it'll pretty much be my forever bike
  6. Welcome to NR. :)

The Royal Enfields are a bit temperamental but are still good bikes.

What about cruisers? Yamaha XVS 650's are good ones and are LAMS as well.
  7. They do have a certain something that tugs at the heart strings, that's true, but make sure you read up on them as there are some little things you need to take care of, like the Triumph crankshaft sludge trap.
  8. Yeah I most definitely will, once I make a decision I'll get manuals and read as much as I can (I do have about six months)

9. you said you wanted reliable. i'd stay well away from 70's triumphs... and probably avoid anythng from the 80's....

get a near new CB400, add some extra retro bling if need be, and engoy a high quality modern, low k's, fuel injected bike that will last for years or lose minimal value while you get ready to upgrade.

anything old has been owned by at least one other person... has very likely been sitting round unused for someperiod of its life, may have hard to find parts, temperamental carbies, high insurance, and crappy suspension, brakes and chassis.... I understand that as a doer upper, or weekend dream bike, none of these things may be a problem, but if you need it to commute, you need it to work. specially when it gets gold and wet over winter and engines start to play up.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks mate, I've had a look around and I think I'll start putting some hard earned away for a CB400, and when I'm on my full license I might start thinking about trade+ cash for a new triumph.

I've had a little bit of a google but I can't find body kits for the CB400, but I'm certain I've seen kitted bikes, are these kits custom made per bike or is my google-fu really crap?

Also I cannot sign in via tapatalk, anyone else have this trouble? I also can't find a tech support forum here, might be because I'm not a paying member though...

11. #11 mattb, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    I'm an Enfield owner and have been watching the new Unit Construction Engine (UCE) Bullets closely since their introduction. Here are a few of us at Menindee, on a ride to Broken Hill - I came from Melbourne but most of them came from Sydney, some two-up, at 110kph.

An old-style bullet like mine is not up to your task, but a UCE most certainly is. Especially if you have basic mechanical skills as you clearly do (they have some minor niggles, but the engine is sound and reliable). I'd highly recommend one, especially for Tassie. You'll also find local support from Bullet riders down there either through the club (very active and very generous to each other - indeed its the best way to find a good buy), or through the open forum Aussie Enfields.

As you say, people who have them love them. And for good reason. It's no accident that people stick passionately to these bikes (even the shit old ones like mine); they have a charisma that for us fans cannot be found in any other bike on the showroom floor. Given that you are considering an older Triumph I suspect you're the sort of fellow to get hooked. Plus, for you on a budget, you'll enjoy the third-world prices on spare parts.

SR500s feel a bit strained at 100 but can do it all day, and have lots of character and are very simple and cheap to own. Any problems you find should be easily sortable, often it's a matter of a new carb and the thing runs beautifully. It is very dirt-bikish and can handle rough roads wonderfully. $5k tops (in today's silly prices) will easily get you one, though maybe from interstate. Joining teh club could make that exercise easier. Here's my old one, a 1978 that I rode long distances on:

From what you've described as your desirable bikes, I'd be surprised if you found a modern four cylinder bike as satisfying. My Hornet was admirable but soul-deadening. Plus when something goes wrong with such (by comparison) complicated bikes it's a lot harder and more expensive to sort out.

Another bike to consider is an early XS or TX 650. They are old, sure, but so simple and well-made that a good one is unquestionably a viable daily ride, and they're a great LAMS alternative to a Triumph. There are also sometimes grey Kawasaki W400s around the place (the 650 is actually a 675 and not LAMS eligible) and that's another option - a more solid bike than anything that's been suggested including the CB (the W is an exceptionally well-engineered motorcycle with no known faults whatsoever - very rare!).

Of course, for around the money you're talking of spending you can find a very nice, rebuilt '60s Bonneville that should be sound for your needs. Again joining a club now would make a lot of difference in finding a good one. There are people on here who commute daily on them and moreso in other places. If you're prepared to become a true enthusiast for the bike you should have no trouble keeping it on the road. A lot rides of course on whether the bike is your only transport to work - a certainly anxiety amelioration comes with a Japanese or modern-made motorcycle. But your learner years are among the best riding years of your life. Don't waste them on a compromise. Riding is too stupid and dangerous for that.
  12. how about a Suzuki TU250?

+1 to all the people that suggested cb400. greatest LAM of them all but not the classic style you are probably looking for
  13. You're better off getting a cb400.
  14. Body kit??? You mean fairings? Or screens and cowls?

15. Welcome Dyzan, you have to be a Premium member for Tapatalk. Just a once off $10 fee, that also gives you post rights in the For Sale area.
  16. Will that still be the case in the future with the release of the 500s ?

Hmmm I guess they aren't really classic style tho :D