Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

G'day from Tassie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by TassiePete, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Hello to All, I'm a newbie to the forum who decided not so long ago it would be a change to start riding a bike to work instead of one person in the car each day and now love it. I ride a 2010 Cb400 and it fits the bill perfectly. The only regret I have is that I didn't do it earlier.

2. Same matie - same.. should have learned to ride 20-odd yrs ago...

Anyhoo, welcome to NR! (y)
  3. I am totally with you there. Now that I am riding think should have started this 15 years ago.
  4. Hey from Australia ;)

hahaha jokes

welcome to NR mate..the CB400 is a great machine for a new rider :) so ive herd haha
  5. Thanks guys, from a couple of road/trail bikes 20 years ago to this bike is a great change. I do a bit over 100kms a day rain hail or shine (in Tassie it's always fine though lol) and I find when it needs to go it will do the job. Heated grips were one of the first additions I put on though!
  6. How're you getting on with this 'k'n wind? I rode to Richmond today, it felt like it was going to have me off the bike a couple of times...

7. Not much fun in the wind, been one of the worst weeks for wind for a while. Its those side gusts that get me? Still like they say, a bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at work.
  8. wind is fun its like...extra adrenaline... get pushed to neally the other side of the road sketchy as haha
  9. Johnny you find the strangest things haha-worthy..

My first trip in the wind saw me nearly blown full force into the gutter - what a blast... Not! I had to pull up and stop to get my nerves calmed down.. Almost called mav for a fly by rescue.. Scary shyt. But it definately taught me a good lesson!

Anyway, love to see some pics of any trips you do around tassie pete (y)
  10. Hello and welcome from another Pete.
  11. Welcome to NR. (y)
  12. Welcome to NR Pete :)
  13. Hey Pete!

where in Tas are you? I still get down there a fair bit... hoping to do a fair bit of riding down there this summer when i come down for xmas :) My family are pretty well spread out round the state so it gives me a good excuse ;-)
  14. I live in Devonport on the warm end of the island lol, and the gateway to some great roads. I've driven a lot of them in a car and I am now looking forward to revisiting some of them on the bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ahhhh top spot(for bikes/cars anyways ;-) ) . I'm from Launnie originally.
  16. I'm from Lonnie too. I'm down there mid October to ride some of those familiar roads.

Should be so good :)
  17. Welcome to NR :)

CB400 is a great first bike. Congrats

RE Wind: The best way to deal with windy conditions is to stay RELAXED. It's harder to stay relaxed when you feel tense because of the wind, however, when you are tense, you grip the bars harder. When the wind buffets your body around (like a sail on a boat) you transfer all that movement through your arms to your bars, and the bike feels less stable. If you make sure your seat is planted well, and grip with your knees when a gust pushes the bike, the bike will sort itself out quickly. Just keep your upper body nice and relaxed.

Good luck, and enjoy!
  18. Yep, good advice. (Can't nod...)

First time I was hit by a few really good gusts I nearly sh1t myself, thought the bike was sliding all over the road. It sort of came naturally to relax and let the bike do it's own thing up to a point, you've just got to be ready to drift back on course if really accurate road position is an issue. Plenty of practice to be had down here with the equinoxial gales. Enjoy the ride.

19. Thanks for the welcome guys, plus the good advice, life is just like one big classroom. Coming to terms with the wind and the rain just means we can enjoy riding all year round!