Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

G'day from Newcastle

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by brumby, Jul 3, 2011.

1. G'day fellow riders,

My name is Dave and I'm a 51 yr old getting back into motorcycling.
    About to start riding again after a short stint of 5 yrs ago after only having a bike for 12 months to get my licence.
    I got my licence in '05 when i lived in the Campbelltown area SW of Sydney riding a Kwaka Er5 but sold it prior to a short move to Brissie in '06 but now am looking forward to buying a New V-strom 650 ABS(orange one I think) by the end of this Month (still have to get full clearance from my Minister of finance LOL).
    So, whilst I'm not totally a complete newbie on motorcycles, I'm still relatively inexperienced when it comes to every type of riding conditions although the first trip I ever done on the ER5, I got rained on alot.

As soon as I got off my L's and onto my black license, in Nov '05 I set off for my first ever bike tour leaving Sydney via the Putty rd (yeah I know..but it was a weekday) and almost got stuck in a hail storm but luckily found the Putty servo just in time before it struck....I encountered another 3 hail storms in Scone and decided to call it quits for the day so booked into a motel and the owner manager was an ex- Ullysis member and he allowed me to park my bike in his garage ..Thanx mate!!
    Then it was onto Uralla, Bundarra, Inverell, Glen Innes where I sampled my Auny's legendary scones, and over to Grafton Via the Gwyder highway where I was in cloud most of the way. Stopped off to my parent's place for a few days in Grafton then back to Sydney via Newcastle...all in all..1700kms round trip in 9 days....I was hooked on touring and that's why I'm really keen on getting the V-strom.
    I'm not one for high speed riding so a large bike is not warranted...touring is my aim and my job relies on my drivers license so I gotta be a good lad so I can keep the payments up on my new toy.
    Looking forward to joining the discussions on here and hopefully meeting up with a few of you guys & gals around the Newcastle region.

2. Hi Dave. Welcome to NR.
  3. Hi from Raymond Terrace :)
    Welcome to NetRider Dave. Lots of knowledgable guys and gals here. I'm sure you'll find plenty of useful info
  4. Howdy!
    That's a decent ride! Glad you enjoyed yourself.