Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

G'day and eager to learn

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Linton, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Hi all
    First time on here and it looks great. I just sold my first and only bike today and am missing it already. With two young boys, I've decided to give it a rest until they're much older, but I don't want to let go of riding altogether.
    My plan is to instead teach myself how to rebuild an old classic from the ground up. But it's a tall mountain - I have a garage, some handyman skills, but no mechanical knowledge whatever!
    I'm hoping to get some advice from you guys about the best bike to learn on - not to ride, but to pull apart and put back together!
    Thanks for having me,

2. Welcome Linton,
    Have you decided on the type / model ?
  3. Hey mate - thanks for the reply. Beyond a road bike, no, not really. I guess I'm partial to supersport - had I not given up riding all the time I was going to buy a new-ish GSXR750. I'm open to whatever is best to learn the mechanics - but I guess something that is relatively easy to get parts for.
    Part of me thinks it should be a 30-year-old bike so the rego and insurance is cheap if I ever do get it back on the road ... Any thoughts?
  4. It all just comes down to personal preference and favourite bike flavour (brand). It would probably be easiest to go cafe or naked styles