Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GB 250 Clubman

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by seanc19, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Hi - looking for any info on the Honda GB250 (about '88-'89 model). Does anyone own one or have ridden one. Any major niggles, generally reliable, notoriously bad at anything etc? Also, seems to be only one place to get them from (sumoto, different state to me) - any buying experiences generally from these guys?

Any info would be greatly appreciated - already trolled google and other bike forums - doesn't seem to be much useful info around so thought I'd throw it open to the experts!

Thanks all.
  2. You'd have a hell of a time getting any spares or support. Get something more common.
  3. Spares are available pretty easily from Japan. I'm pretty sure it's the same engine as the XR250 from the same era.

But I wouldn't buy ANYTHING at all from Sumoto. Search their name here for some fun stories.
  4. Thanks fellas. Looks like Sumoto are off the cards and sadly, so too is the GB!

Never mind - thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.
  5. That's cool - get an SR. Much better bikes.
  6. Actually, Scotts Motorcycles in Sydney sells them:

I was/am interested in the GB400s that they sell - I've spoken to a couple of owners who I've met out riding, and they've been very happy with the bikes.

They also did a good job servicing my GSX250 of about the same vintage.

Just to keep everyone in the thread happy, they seem to have pretty reasonable prices on SR500s, too.

AFAIK, they import the bikes themselves, so they're not Sumoto's "leavings" :LOL:
  7. I've always had a soft spot for the SRX600. Anyone had one care to comment on what they're actually like to ride/own?
  8. Only ever sat on one, started and moved it. But it felt great. A lot of owners say it lacks poke though (Sorry Pat8). The guys on the SR forum swear by them. Seem to do a good amount of miles easily.
  9. Thanks beeroll - haven't heard of those guys and they have some lovely examples.

Thanks for the tip!
  10. There is/was a GB500 too. At the very least, the similar XBR500 was sold here some years back, so if you're searching, then put in GB250, GB400, GB500 and XBR500.

There's an older thread on here about the difference between the two 500 versions -

11. I'm pretty sure it's not. I looked pretty closely at the 500 for a while, but I remember reading the 400 and 250 were uniquely Japanese engines.

I can't remember every seeing a honda engine that looked like the gb250 engine.

Let me know if I'm wrong.
  12. The gb250 has 30hp, the best, leave any other 250 road single and many twins for dead, but not common to anything else.
  13. Nah, you're 100% right. GB looks like a twin cam, the XR's were always SOHC I think? Was the GB500 the same as the XR500? I'm probably just making stuff up now.

Hmmm, I'm certain the powerplant is the same as something Australian imported.

EDIT: Did some googling, CBX250!

14. No need to be sorry to me, I don't own one :grin:. But, when the flag drops, the bullshit stops, as the saying goes and my repeated claims of the racing success of a stock one back in the 80s are, I'm fairly sure, not a result of advancing senility. I have no idea how sticky the tyres were (probably very) or the size of the rider's testicles (I suspect watermelons), but the bike did do it.
  15. You are right. It's a sleeved down XR/XL600.

Good find on the CBX250.
  16. Yeah the gb500/cbx500 was basically the old xr500 engine, but this gb250 bike/engine confuses me.

The cbx250 we got out hear didn't have this engine. Also I thought the gb400/250 was a SOHC engine. looked a lot like the trailies but wasn't the same engine.
  17. That's strange then Ibast?

One thing I hate about Honda is the trouble they have at standardisation.
  18. yep if they can change something, they will, whether it needs it or not.
  19. Mmm. I remember talking to a guy who was into old CB350's/400's and how simple things like engine mounting points seemed to change each year. Compared that to the SR/XT/TT line which used the same engine for 30 years, and most other parts.
  20. I think the CBX250 was pretty rare everywhere. In over a decade around bikes and bikers in the UK, I can only recall ever seeing one, even though it was an officially listed model there, and successor to the hugely popular CB250RS single.

Mind you, the bottom fell out of the UK 250 market when learners were confined to 12bhp 125s in the early 80s.