Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gauge replacement

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by rcmame, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Hi,
    I'm in the process of restoring my old 81 XL500S. I am looking for replacment gauges that will look ad close as possible to the original.

They are proving to be difficult to find and I am hoping that I can find an alternative weather it be mechanical or electronic.
    Anyone with ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

2. True these ol girls will become hard to source parts for. I would look for early XR replacments. Then, failing that. DR, TS (Dirt) GT, (road), XT, TT, IT (Dirt) TS, ER, PE (dirt) KDX or KLRs perhaps.
    All are becoming relics now.

Digital.. Well I just sold a Light weight Husaberg Dash from my 04/5 FE/S. Early models had analog. And Digital dash's can be sourced easily enough. Have a look on ebay, a few will come up.

For keeping it Orig. You can get Gauges restored. Its not always cheap to have done tho. If I was that inclined. I would find a used Gauge from anything (Road bikes are more plentiful) Rip its guts out and retro fit it to your original Speedo Gauge shell. You biggest issue will be the Cable sender? But I dont think they would be all that complicated to adapt to your cause. Brass fittings can be re-tapped etc.

Dan