Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by momo, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Is it okay to ride for a short period of time (hour or so) without a gasket on the alternator cover?

Incidentally, can silicone sealant be used as a permanent gasket, rather than the fibrous OEM ones?

2. fine.
    will just loose a little bit of oil
    best reuse your old one with lots of sealent
  3. just get a gasket!!??!
    putting sticky shit in there only makes it a longer process when you eventually have to put one in anyway.
    if you need a get-out-of-shed-free temporary fix, whip the cover off, paint the face of the cover lightly with some dirty sump oil,m place it on a piece of cardboard from a cereal box, and cut your temp gasket out by following the lines. ive made head gaskets for trailies like this that have lasted months (doubled up of course)
  4. I've got a new gasket on hand.

The reason why I want to ride it for about 30 mins to an hour without a gasket is because I need to take it to a mechanic to have the alternator rotor removed, and I don't want to put my new gasket on when it is going to be taken off again in half an hour - I won't have another spare to put back on.

If I can get it to the mechanic without (too many) problems then I can put the new gasket on, and everything will be sweet.
  5. cardboard gasket i tells ya, perfect for the occasion :grin:
    take you 5 minutes tops!
  6. I don't want to unbolt it again :p

Ahhhhhhhhhh! OK cardboard gasket it is :grin:
  7. The liquid gasket stuff is fine for external engine covers. Get the oil proof stuff and make sure you only use a smear.