Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gasket Maker

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by rubenastley, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Hey guys, has anyone used gasket maker instead of paper gaskets?

I need to seal up some engine covers.. If they are good enough then which ones should i use?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/search-results.aspx?keywords=gasket+maker&look.x=0&look.y=0

There are quite alot of different gasket makers? which one would be suitable for engine covers?

cheers for any advice !

2. copper or blue silicone , sparingly
    very very sparingly .
    actually just buy the gasket that is
    the correct answer.

3. mm i looked at your site after post ,
    maybe the black )

4. #4 phongus, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    I use Permatex Red (High temp) or equivalent on areas such as sump/rocker cover area. Permatex Blue or equivalent where water/coolant is used (such as water pump on a car). I also have used the Permatex copper variety...can't remember where I used it, but I have a near new tube in the garage. EDIT: I used copper on the exhaust of my VFR. Had to make a slip on ring large enough for the muffler and small enough to fit over the exhaust end. Sealed the exhaust up nicely :)

I only use it in conjunction with the original gasket, so only putting a bit on either side of the gasket to help it reseal better, haven't had any issues. Regarding using it as a stand alone, I have never tried.

Though I had an idea which might work, is to make a thick bead along the surface that needs sealing, making sure both sides are super clean. Tighten said parts together until the sealant starts to compress a little and squeeze a little out of the sides. Let it sit to dry for 15 mins (maybe longer/shorter depending on weather) and then tighten it up completely. Since it dries into a rubber type finish, I would assume letting it dry into the rubber state is pretty much like having a new gasket. I have never tried this and I would imagine you'd use a fair bit of sealant (depending on size of the part of course).

5. Be careful using gasket cements in place of paper gaskets. In some cases, the thickness of the gasket is taken into account when the clearances / tolerances are set. Classic example......in a 2 stroke engine, the thickness of the cylinder base gasket can be used to set the squishband clearance.

• Like Like x 2
  6.  Top
  7. No, don't use it, ever. Unless the manufaturer has specified it in certain places. As mike8863 said, gaskets also double as a spacer/shim, so never replace them with a sealant.
    Also I have seen silicone sealants block up oil galleries & seize engines.

8. Listen to this guy ^
    And if you still want to use sealant instead of paper gasket, make sure the contact surfaces are degreased before you put the sealant on or you won't be sealing anything.

9. if you dont want to use a oem or equiv gasget on a NON-clearance type area. Cut one from a weeties box and grease both sides.. Works in non critical area's.

10. If you've got a brand new in the plastic bag OEM gasket and you've accidently put a couple of full width tears in it, can you use gasket maker to patch it up?

11. If its going somewhere that very easily accessible then try it.. Sometimes its worked and sometimes it hasnt, it depends on which way you hold your tongue when you tear it the first time I've found..

12. I'd be cutting a complete new one out of paper or card of approx the same thickness.

Oil can seep out, in surprisingly large quantities, through flaws you would have difficulty seeing with the naked eye. Your chances of mating up the broken ends of the gasket with sufficient precision to work are pretty much zilch. If you're going to make up the shortfall with goo, you might as well not bother with the gasket at all.

13. +1 to weeties box. Use a ball peen hammer to cut the gasket directly on the part, like this

14. +1 on making a new one, you can get gasket paper from Supercheap if you're a toast man, it's not very expensive. Comes in various thicknesses too (y)

15. thanks for the advice guys, if the original one breaks when I take the clutch cover off I'll make a new gasket out of SCA gasket paper using the ball pein hammer technique.

16. The ball pein hammer technique might be fine for a cast iron engine block of a car, but when you have a thin wall alloy motorcycle engine, it's a bit concerning. The sharp edges may get rounded even with gentle tapping.

17. Agree that the ball pein probably isn't a fantastic idea on ally. I always used to take my piece of card or paper and rub it down onto the mating surface with a grubby finger like taking a brass rubbing. Result was a perfect outline of the surface which could then be cut around with decent scissors or a sharp knife. Perfect gaskets every time at no risk to componentry.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Or you can bearing blue the gasket surface and take a pattern to cut out..

19. Or that, but I've usually had more reliable access to grubby fingers than to bearing blue ;).