Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Garmin vs TomTom

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Garido, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Looking to buy a GPS system for my bike. Had a look online and sort of focusing on TomTom Urban Rider or Garmin Zumo 220. Any tips?

2. TT doesn't come with powered bike mount anymore ](*,) , its now a $110 option
    Zumo (220) will only talk to you and WONT relay phone ](*,)

Neither have headset included anymore either.

In their (restricted) out of the box application the TT is probs the choice (from experience :angel:)

BUT you'd be better off grabbing a Zumo660 for around $900 as it can do SOOOOO much more and comes with bike AND car (powered) mounts too.
    either way you'll still need a headset/system to listen to stereo music/nav and use phone
  3. Holden v Ford type argument.

They are just as good/shit as each other.

I'm a tt fan though.
  4. I'd probably go with the Zumo 660 as well, as far as all inclusive features go.

I particularly like how you can configure it with your fuel tank's capacity and average consumption and if you reset it on a fill it'll alert you when you need to fill up and I think that it also points out the nearest servos.
  5. Thanks all. I will have a look into the Zumo 660, it seems to be a bit more expensive though.
  6. I've been looking at this as well, but having a lot of trouble justifying the cost of Garmin 220/660 or even TT rider over car GPSs. Currently tossing up getting a new car type garmin.
  7. the extra cost of the bike ones goes into making them water and petrol proof, vibration toughened and also teh ability to actually send audio out to a BT headset or wired syustem to your helmet. Car ones cant do any of the above.

IF you just want to look at it for directions and have somewhere dry to do that you'l be OK
  8. FMD

Petrol gauge? odometer? eyes?
  9. And your point is, Jazzfan?
  10. I use a car GPS. Find these days in the car the GPS is muted all the time anyway. The one I have is a TT One, cheapest GPS I could find at the time. I just suction cap it down on the tank and it works a treat. Only problem is its not waterproof. Also, if I have the tank bag on, I have a spot for a GPS/Phone, and I put it in there but alas, its nearly impossible to read.

The other issue with car GPS is the battery life may not do what you want for the long distance stuff (i have 12v outlet on my bike). But then again, I have reverted back to good old paper maps for distance, less distracting and its easier to look at a map if you want to alter your course.
  11. ...just get a car GPS and glad wrap it...should do the trick...
  12. Garmin has free lifetime map upgrades for some of the car ones at the moment. Can get a GPS and the upgrades for less than the cost of purchasing the lifetime upgrades separately.
  13. I thought it was pretty obvious...

Here's the thing though, the more remote you are (and the more apparently useful having this information fed to you would be), the more likely it is to be wrong.
  14. If you have an iPhone/Android phone, buy the TomTom app and then get a waterproof case. Map updates are free on the app store where most nav units only give free updates for a year or two.

If you register a separate account you can share the app with up to 5 people so you're only paying about $20/person for the app.
  15. It was. I wanted you to clarify it for posterity.

Thing is, the GPS is a gadget, a toy. And the fuel thing makes it more gadgety, which I like.

It does nothing to improve the performance, handling or comfort for the bike, just like all the other accessories out there that people love to adorn their bikes with.

In any case, if your bike, like mine, has an unreliable fuel gauge and a low level light that no longer works, this feature may or may not help you to not run out of fuel somewhere between Whitfield and say, Oxley, then all the better, I reckon.

In any case, from what I understand the bluetooth features are better and have more functionality than the TomTom Rider's version.
  16. There are some old car GPS that can stream music and directions via bluetooth, like my TT Go 730. I use it with a Sena headset, and a cheap ziploc bag when needed. Can't justify paying that much for a waterproof GPS
  17. I picked up a second hand car Navman on eBay for $49, which I put in a waterproof case/mount I bought from Aldi for $10 about 6 weeks ago. Sure, I can't hear it talking to me but I'm fine with that. A quick glance every now and then to see how far to the next turn is the main thing I want it for, and it's fine.
  18. When I bought the first Aldi bike GPS, it came with an FM driven earpiece that somehow fits into the helmet. However, the reception was woeful, as was the navigator software itself.

I did what a lot of people did and dumped the "Route66" nav s'ware and installed TomTom Navigator for WinCE.

I lost the voice guidance feature but don't miss it. I'd much rather focus on riding and not to be suddenly interrupted, as I'm negotiating a tricky piece of road or heavy traffic with an instruction to turn left in 100m or the more ludicrous "continue straight ahead in one hundred metres" as these devices often instruct us to do...

The other problem with GPSes is that the routes that you plan take in major highways for the most part. None of the rides that I go on where I'd use the device are on major roads. So, for a good part of the trip it's forever recalculating the route...
  19. I used to have a real cheapo chinese gps. It did a great job even though it wasnt meant for the environment. Wet weather? Plastic bag was all it needed. It lasted about 2 years which for the cost I reckon was great.

I then got a second one .. this one was crap .. real crap. Half the time it thought I was on the next road over and kept giving me weird instructions. Oh, well... thems the chances.

Decided the savings just werent worth the angst and shelled out for a zumo 660. Waterproof, vibration proof. Never looked back. Its easy to read on the bike, came with a lifetime of map updates (4 per year is the limit) so you'll always be up to date. Wired power in the bike linked into the mount so you dont have to plug it in, cig power for the car. Battery seems to last heaps even without direct power (like walking around). I also grabbed a touratech lockable mount so for most stops I dont worry about taking it off the bike. Couldnt be happier with it.

Best GPS for a Beemer rider anyway :D

PS, had the zumo about a year now .. it aint new anymore but still looks and works like new.