Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Garmin Quest GPS

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by V2, Mar 26, 2008.

1. I often go riding with a bunch of guys and go on great rides, but in the following weeks when I try to retrace my steps, I cant find where I have been.

I'm thinking of getting a Garmin Quest GPS. I like the compact size and that its waterproof. Can anyone tell me if it will "record" the route you travel so you can later cpy to a computer and work out where you have actually been?

Any other suggestions on a GPS that does this?

2. Keeping a "track log" is a functionality that Garmins have had since the beginning, even before they could display maps or do auto-routing. :)

Magellan units will also do this no doubt (Is Magellan still around?)

Not sure of Navman/TomTom et al, as they tend to focus more on being basic car-navigation devices. I can't find any information about TomTom keeping track logs.

Johnny Appleseed ( http://www.ja-gps.com.au/index.htm ) is a pretty good shop for GPS. Their website is a little cluttered, but they have descriptions of each GPS up, for a few different brands. When I've mail-ordered stuff from them at 3pm it's arrived the next day. (!)

3. I too like the Quest. Nice and small but would be a biatch to read on the bike unless you were stopped.

I'm aiming for a zumo550

4. I'm thinkin' of upgrading to one of them myself.

I've been using an "old" Garmin eTrex Legend C for the last few years on foot, in the car (connected to laptop) and on bikes. It's a little handheld bushwalking/mountainbiking/anything-you-like one. Its small (very small) size made it good for handlebar use on the nekkid VTR250, but the five-way joystick "nub" is a little awkward to use with bare hands and a c*** to use with motorbike gloves on. :cry:

I never found screen size to be an issue when riding - but I would only glance at the "distance to next maneuver" counter so I knew how long until I had to pay attention to it. Garmins prompt the user twice as you approach a maneuver - both times, the entire screen is devoted to a zoomed-in closeup of the maneuver you're about to make with a distance and time countdown.

Just have to make sure you don't clutter the screen with information, on the small devices. :)

5. Picked up a garmin Quest off Ebay and its the ducks guts. Very easy to use and although the screen is small, its good enough to see. There is also a screen on the right when your in navigation mode that clearly says how far to the next turn.

If anyone is interested, I also noticed there is someone selling refurbished units on eBay at the moment, but note that these are the earlier (115mb memory - the newer version has 243mb). http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Garmin-Q...ryZ34288QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

6. Actually - I would not recommend the above eBay units - they must be imports, they don't come with the Australian maps (and they are expensive).